Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Tester in a scrum team

  • Kevin Callahan
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 23, 2012
      Hi Michelle,

      Thanks for the follow up. I'm currently working as CSM with 2 teams; one of them gained a dedicated tester a few months ago and the other we're hiring one now.

      While we haven't had the exact issues you are experiencing, I have been doing a lot of work both with the teams and with the individual members to actively dissolve some of the barriers that carried over from QA being a test-last, separate function, compounded by personality differences, language issues, and the fact that the teams are distributed. It sounds like perhaps for you in addition to the functional role there are some challenges around age and experience.

      As a coach I support team members in bringing up these types of issues in retrospectives, and see my role as then setting the context as I perceive it, checking that perception with the team for accuracy, and then both asking for possible actionable solutions from the team as well as offering my own suggestions, which the team is free to reject.

      My suggestion would be to approach your SM or agile coach if that's a separate role, and explain just as you have here what's going on. Alternatively you could bring it up in a retrospective to the team. Sounds like in either case there's plenty of ways to inspect your role in the team, and find ways to improve.

      I found Mike Cohn's presentation "Leading a Self Organizing Team" (http://www.mountaingoatsoftware.com/presentations/100-leading-a-selforganizing-team there's a very small link to the actual video; long though worth a watch) to be extremely helpful in conceptualizing these types of dynamics and being able to support the team in finding solutions that worked for them.

      Hope the helps; please let me know if you, or anyone else on the list here, has any questions.

      Thanks for reading,

      -kevin

      On Mar 19, 2012, at 7:05 AM, Michelle Khusu wrote:

      My challenges as a QA tester in a scrum team where that there was a lot of resistance in terms of developers passing on information and their work to be tested.

      The issue was that they felt like they know what they are doing and that they have been in development for many years and I am only an intern fresh from school.
      It was difficult for people to understand my role as not being there to "police" or "judge" their work, but rather to work with them in improving quality.
      Have you as a scrum coach ever seen or experienced such things in some scrum teams before?

      Michelle Khusu
      University of the Western Cape
      Cape Town
      South Africa