Re: [scrumdevelopment] Stopping a sprint due to a change in story

  • Ram Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 36 , Mar 29, 2012
      I would say don't terminate the sprint. Terminate the sprint ( the PO should, or the SO should, after discussions with the PO) only if the sprint goal is no longer relevant.

      In this case, simply drop the story and continue with the sprint. Of course, it is dropped with the blessings of the PO.

      The PO should keep working on the product backlog (prioritizing it and groom it along with the team), if the team ends up finishing all their committed stories, have reduced/eliminated any technical debt, let the team talk with the PO to take up an appropriate sized story (with well defined acceptance criteria) which can be completed in the remaining duration of the sprint.

      Ram

      On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Dominick Deinde <dominick@...> wrote:

      It is a general question. Nothing has happened. For example,  we started a sprint about 2 days ago and a user realized that his/her story is no longer valid . The story is part of the sprint in progress. The user made the information available to the Scrum Master and the team. Can the Scrum Master stop the sprint to include the corrected story in the sprint and re-estimate the sprint ?  My belief was that the corrected story would be placed in the product backlog and re-prioritized in the product backlog.

      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 10, 2012
        Hi Charles,

        On Apr 10, 2012, at 5:53 PM, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM I wrote:

        What did you mean by this?
        > I think I'd consider the average more than the current.

        If we consider the various Scrum Guides as a spotlight moving over the Scrum Terrain, some spots would be very well lighted, some less so. So it doesn't matter where the light is currently, but what it has illuminated over time.