RE: [scrum development] intro and individualized sprint planning

  • James Holbrook
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 23, 2012

      Philip

      I also live in Winchester.

      People by nature do not like change, chaos or giving up control.

      My questions to you is Has a Product Owner been Identified?   Has a scrum master been identified?

      If not these rolls have not been identified and given authority you will stay in the command and control model.

      Here is some team forming stages as described by Bruce Tuckman see below.

            Bruce Tuckman developed a 5-stage model of team development.

            1. Forming: The group comes together and gets to initially know one other and form as a group.

            2. Storming: A chaotic vying for leadership and tailoring of group processes

            3. Norming: Eventually agreement is reached on how the group operates (norming)

            4. Performing: The group practices its craft and becomes effective in meeting its objectives.

            5. Adjourning: The process of "un-forming" the group, that is, letting go of the group structure and moving on.

      Some more good books are Agile Project Management with scrum by Ken Schwaber, Collaboration Explained by Jean Tabaka, and Coaching Agile Teams by Lyssa Adkins.

      Keep questioning and be a good Agile evangelist.

      Good Luck

      Maybe a face to face support group might help.

      James Holbrook, CSM

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 23, 2012
        We don't have a PO yet, it's our major issue.  We have interested parties, but no one willing and able to do the full PO role. I am the scrum master, a novice one.

        The team has a lot of autonomy, there isn't much command and control history here.  The team has had a lot of freedom and latitude.  We are hoping scrum will tie to getting user visible features done and avoid endless technology development.

        Thanks for the book recommendations.  We are probably right between forming and storming!

        -Philip