Re: [scrumdevelopment] RapidScrum Burndown Questions

  • Alan Dayley
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 22, 2012
      How many points were accomplished is history.  What should be stated is how many points are left to be done.

      And you should not be asking.  That *is* reporting status to you.  Members should be informing their peers in the team.

      Alan

      On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Oksana Schwartz <omaeva@...> wrote:

      I *do* ask them how many story points they accomplished with each item.  Very different from reporting to me.

      On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Michael James <mj4scrum@...> wrote:

      *You* ask them?  The standup is for team members to report to each other.

      --mj

      On Mar 16, 2012, at 9:45 AM, Oksana Schwartz <omaeva@...> wrote:

      I've been using the Rapid Scrum.  Every standup I ask people how many story points they think they accomplished in the last day without thinking about how many story points the story was originally.  This is to help the accuracy of estimation.  So say you originally estimated a story to be 13 points, but as the sprint goes on it turns out to be only 5.  So that means that you were significantly off on the estimation.

      I would recommend downloading the roboscrum spreadsheets and using those to track your metrics. From the data that you input he calculates all the percentages, and predicts the success or failure of each story within the sprint.

      Oksana

      On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Mark Levison <mark@...> wrote:

      Sorties are either done or not done. No points until they're complete. This should encourage small stories and getting them to done quickly. This is good. I discourage estimation in hours fit this very reason.

      Cheers
      Mark Levison

      On Mar 15, 2012 4:28 AM, "damongaylor" <damon.gaylor@...> wrote:

      I've been doing Scrum for about 4 years now with pretty good success. I am getting ready to try and use the RapidScrum process as outlined by Scott on his site www.rapidscrum.com.

      My big question is he is recommending that everything is done with story points, including Sprint Tasks. Rather than tracking how many hours left on a task, you gather how many points you think were completed each day.

      Since points are just relative measurement, I"m struggling with how people are going to say they completed x points towards the story. Related to this, they should not try and do fractional math (I think I'm half way down so half of the point value of the story is what I did).

      Has anyone been successful with RapidScrum and how did the team communicate how much work they completed so you get good metrics related to velocity, adopted, and found work?