RE: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 153

  • Tommy Kelly
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2002
      Mike:
      > I like the idea of bringing a rugby ball to meetings. Maybe I'll try
      > that. Of course--I don't know if I can even go into a sporting goods
      > store here in the US and buy a rugby ball!

      I held an "Intro to Scrum" meeting yesterday and
      one of the chaps brought in a ball - we spent
      the first part of the meeting almost getting
      into a real scrum.

      Incidentally, as I come to understand the whole thing,
      I think Scrum should really be called "Maul" or even
      "Ruck".

      A scrum is the usual set piece used to restart play
      when it has stopped for some reason. It is, relatively
      speaking, a very gentlemanly thing, with the (usually)
      eight players from each side staying on either side
      of an imaginary dividing line, and the only real
      contact being between the two sets of front three.

      A maul is the ad hoc stramash that occurs mid-play,
      when someone is tackled and manages to stay on their
      feet holding the ball, but is quickly engulfed by
      other players from both sides as they fight for the
      ball in order to feed it to the backs.

      And a ruck is a maul with the ball on the ground.
      It also often involves one or more players on the
      ground and boots, knees, and teeth, going everywhere.

      Nowadays, the referees - big girls blouses that
      they are - tend to stop mauls and rucks fairly
      quickly, in case someone gets a hair out of place.
      In *ma* day you only stopped a ruck if someone died,
      and even then only if they were so inconsiderate as to
      die on top of the ball such that no one could rake
      them out of the way.

    • Mike Cohn
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2002

        Hmmm. A ruck sounds only one step better than being hit in the head with a baseball bat.

        > I like the idea of bringing a rugby ball to meetings. Maybe I'll try
        > that. Of course--I don't know if I can even go into a sporting goods
        > store here in the US and buy a rugby ball!

        I held an "Intro to Scrum" meeting yesterday and
        one of the chaps brought in a ball - we spent
        the first part of the meeting almost getting
        into a real scrum.

        Incidentally, as I come to understand the whole thing,
        I think Scrum should really be called "Maul" or even
        "Ruck".

        A scrum is the usual set piece used to restart play
        when it has stopped for some reason.  It is, relatively
        speaking, a very gentlemanly thing, with the (usually)
        eight players from each side staying on either side
        of an imaginary dividing line, and the only real
        contact being between the two sets of front three.

        A maul is the ad hoc stramash that occurs mid-play,
        when someone is tackled and manages to stay on their
        feet holding the ball, but is quickly engulfed by
        other players from both sides as they fight for the
        ball in order to feed it to the backs.

        And a ruck is a maul with the ball on the ground.
        It also often involves one or more players on the
        ground and boots, knees, and teeth, going everywhere.

        Nowadays, the referees - big girls blouses that
        they are - tend to stop mauls and rucks fairly
        quickly, in case someone gets a hair out of place.
        In *ma* day you only stopped a ruck if someone died,
        and even then only if they were so inconsiderate as to
        die on top of the ball such that no one could rake
        them out of the way.

      • JUDD John
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2002

          That was The Untouchables. DeNiro played Al Capone.

          > fellow mobster in the head. This QA Manager suggested that I just show
          > up at one meeting one time swinging a bat and yelling about how I need
          > teamwork and that would be enough to get everybody working together. I
          > never tried it (despite being tempted)--if you do, let us know how it
          > goes!

          Maybe not a real baseball bat. How about a Nerfbat?

          Cheers

          John