Re: [scrumdevelopment] Whose responsibility is it to determine how resources are used?

  • Pierre Neis
    Message 1 of 66 , Mar 1, 2012
      Ron +1

      If I follow Scrum, the only responsible for the Product Backlog is........ the PO.
      Now, if you have 2 teams, you need 2 Scrum Masters (done) and 2 Product Owners.

      If it's not possible, have one team.

      Pierre E. Neis Agile/Lean Coach, coPROcess S.A.
       | Mobile: (+352) 661 727 867
      http://meetwith.me/pierreneis

      Blogger Twitter LinkedIn SlideShare XING Google Plus
      Contact me: Skype pierre.neis
      TwitterLatest tweet: dis donc, c'est l'anniversaire de Laurent Morisseau aujourd'hui! Big up! Follow @elPedroMajor Reply Retweet   16:17 Mar-01
      Save a tree - kill a beaver

      On 1 March 2012 16:58, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      Hi sisraj ...

      Why do you have two teams?

      On Feb 14, 2012, at 5:43 PM, sisraj1 wrote:

      I am the Scrum Master (SM) for two Scrum teams.  The two teams work on the same software product and we utilize a common backlog for both teams.  We do segregate the backlog by team.

      I wanted to get the opinion of the group as to whom should be responsible for deciding what backlog items should be assigned to what scrum team.  Should it be the Product Owner (PO) or would it be better for a 'development manager' (someone outside of the Scrum team that has administrative responsibility for the development/coding scrum team members) or someone else to make this determination?

      The PO should be responsible for the backlog content but, should they also be responsible for determining how resources (team members) will be used (deciding what backlog items go to which team)?

      Why pay now when we can pay later?

    • Lukasz Szyrmer
      Message 66 of 66 , Mar 26, 2012

        Charles,

        Yes, you are correct. The research Pink cites is focussed on individuals. Pink himself just gathers together a lot of academic research on individual motivation, not actually doing much direct research himself. Pink uses anecdotal evidence of agile/scrum teams as a shining example of doing individual “motivation” right. I find it to be a useful addition to understanding scrum works from an individual team member’s point of view, although it isn’t rigorously about scrum. Specifically, he cites practices from Atlassian, as an extended case study, i.e. the company behind a number of scrum and agile tools. Other software organizations like Google and Wikipedia are also analysed in detail. He isn’t a software guy, to be fair.

        As for punishing something illegal, I think this steps somewhat outside of a discussion about scrum. You could argue that staying within the law is always part of a team’s definition of being “done” the hiring process. But at some point it comes down to trusting your team to find the best possible solution, within the boundaries of what’s legal.

        Luke

        Lukasz,

        Is Pink's data about the equivalent of self organizing Scrum teams?  I don't think so. Based on what I know about it, it's based on individual knowledge workers.

        Further, how do you not punish a team or person if they are going to break the law in their hiring practices after being told not to?

        -------
        Charles Bradley
        http://www.ScrumCrazy.com