Re: [scrumdevelopment] Whose responsibility is it to determine how resources are used?

  • Mark Levison
    Message 1 of 66 , Mar 1 7:59 AM
      When I've had teams working from a common backlog, I just get the teams to pick. In addition avoid specialization for all the usual reasons.

      Cheers
      Mark

    • Lukasz Szyrmer
      Message 66 of 66 , Mar 26 6:10 AM

        Charles,

        Yes, you are correct. The research Pink cites is focussed on individuals. Pink himself just gathers together a lot of academic research on individual motivation, not actually doing much direct research himself. Pink uses anecdotal evidence of agile/scrum teams as a shining example of doing individual “motivation” right. I find it to be a useful addition to understanding scrum works from an individual team member’s point of view, although it isn’t rigorously about scrum. Specifically, he cites practices from Atlassian, as an extended case study, i.e. the company behind a number of scrum and agile tools. Other software organizations like Google and Wikipedia are also analysed in detail. He isn’t a software guy, to be fair.

        As for punishing something illegal, I think this steps somewhat outside of a discussion about scrum. You could argue that staying within the law is always part of a team’s definition of being “done” the hiring process. But at some point it comes down to trusting your team to find the best possible solution, within the boundaries of what’s legal.

        Luke

        Lukasz,

        Is Pink's data about the equivalent of self organizing Scrum teams?  I don't think so. Based on what I know about it, it's based on individual knowledge workers.

        Further, how do you not punish a team or person if they are going to break the law in their hiring practices after being told not to?

        -------
        Charles Bradley
        http://www.ScrumCrazy.com