Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Thoughts by General George S. Patton

  • Bret Wortman
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
      Thanks for these! I was preparing a presentation on agile for several government agencies and these quotes are going to be hugely popular with my target audience.

      Bret Wortman

      On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 2:27 PM, woynam <woyna@...> wrote:

      I never realized how much agility drove "Old Blood and Guts".

      On team empowerment:

      "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton

      On management by walking around:

      "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." - General George S. Patton

      On good enough planning:

      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton

      On the drawbacks of a rigid process:

      "Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity." - General George S. Patton

      On the value of people over tools:

      "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men." - General George S. Patton

      On teams:

      "An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." - General George S. Patton

      On the dangers of over-specialization:

      "Many soldiers are led to faulty ideas of war by knowing too much about too little." - General George S. Patton

    • Steve Crago
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
        It's all great until you get that one commander who is a micro-manager, just like in civilian life, then all bets are off even in a war zone.  Of course, that's why frag's were invented ... :-o) --- a little bit of military humor...

        USMC - 1971 to 1976
        US Army - 1976 to 1992
        Agile practitioner - 2008 to Present
        ooohhhhh rrrraaaaahhhh

        Steve
      • Lisa Gmail
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
          Wasn't just officers! Morning role call or muster for whatever branch was key.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Feb 29, 2012, at 11:50 AM, "Steve Ropa" <theropas@...> wrote:

          You know, it goes even further than that.  Not only did we have “daily standups” in each department, but also at the beginning of the day, all of us officers would assemble on the fantail for “officers’ call”, which was absolutely a Scrum of Scrums.

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012

            Yeah, but a frag in an engineering compartment on a cruiser can ruin your whole day….