Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Can the team replace the Scrum Master?

  • Abhilash c
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 15, 2012

      i have heard this many times :(. If team feels that they need a technical SM then i believe that rather than removing the SM we should question the technical capacity of the tech lead in the team. The primary job of the SM is to work on the impediments and help create a self sustaining team. If SM starts providing all the technical solutions, analysis and guidance then he/she will be the biggest impediment preventing the team from self organising and sustaining

      On 15 February 2012 21:41, Joshua Partogi <joshua.java@...> wrote:

      Hi George,

      The team have a Scrum Master, but he is a former traditional project manager with no technical background. In some cases the SM cannot help the team with technical impediments. That is why the team is thinking to replace the SM with someone who is more technical.

      On Wednesday, February 15, 2012, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

      > Joshua,
      >
      > On 2/14/12 3:10 AM, Joshua Partogi wrote:
      >>
      >> In related to the discussion on the other thread about whether a Scrum
      >> Master should have a technical knowledge in software development, can
      >> the team decide to replace the Scrum Master if they found that the Scrum
      >> Master is not effective? Also considering that the team now has full
      >> authority with the project at tactical level.
      >
      > If the Scrum Master is not effective, then it seems the team already
      > does not have a Scrum Master.
      >
      > In what ways is the team finding the Scrum Master ineffective? What is
      > the team currently doing about that?
      >
      > - George
      >
      > P.S. I've also known teams who wanted to get rid of their Scrum Master
      > so they could continue to not do Scrum at all.
      >
      > --

      @jpartogi

    • Ram Srinivasan
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 15, 2012

        Joshua:

        Looks like you have a quality issue here. Is there an agreement between the stakeholders on "definition of done"?  TDD is a good practice, but what is the cause for the bugs that keep showing up? I don't exactly know your context, but might be the cause is something else, did you think about it ? Incompetent team? PO who is not fully committed? Something else? If I were you, I would do a root cause analysis

        If you are a part of this dev team, why don't you suggest ATDD/TDD during your retrospectives ? I might be wrong, but the picture I get from this email chain is that even if the SM suggests a technical practice, the team might discount it as the SM does not have a technical background.

        I had been SM for teams which did not practice TDD initially, but regardless, a good scrum master should solve problems for the team (either by helping the team solve the problem, or by using his positional authority ) or bubble up problems which he cannot solve to PO or management

        Cheers,
        Ram

        --
        Sent from a phone that often corrects words I tapped (or "swyped" )  to words I may not have meant.

        On Feb 16, 2012 7:56 AM, "Joshua Partogi" <joshua.java@...> wrote:

        Hi George,

        One obvious technical impediment is bugs that keeps showing up. The team doesn't know anything things TDD and neither does the Scrum Master. The SM cannot suggest any improvement in related to this during sprint retro as he doesn't have tecnical background.

        --
        @jpartogi