Re: [scrumdevelopment] Can the team replace the Scrum Master?

  • Pierre Neis
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 15, 2012
      Here a "best world" example.

      Assumptions: each PO works in pair with her/his SM and vice versa

      Story:
      Senior Management didn't choose a SM because they choose a project. According to that, the 1st person chosen is the PO. Else wise, it's a Change Coach Manager coming from HR Department.

      1. We want to do this project because we are the sponsors
      2. We choose the right person who can manage that (or a team of 2)
      3. This person can select the team and the methodology to deliver on time and on scope (a/o budget) the project
      4. the rest ist well known Scrum (if you want to deliver in batches)

      If your organization is mature, they want to have 4 eyes management: PO+SM.

      If you're wanting that this adoption is emerging bottom-up then it takes much longer to settle up your Scrum.

      Pierre E.  NEIScsp

      Operational Excellence Consultant @ coPROcess S.A. │ Scrum & Lean Coach

      M: +352 / 661 727 867│ Meet with me: http://meetwith.me/pierreneis

      Owner of the "Product Owner's Help Desk"

      Blogger Twitter LinkedIn SlideShare
      Contact me: Google Talk pierreneis@... Skype pierre.neis
      TwitterLatest tweet: @YvesHanoulle @chrissbaumann @lassekoskela +1 consider my friend the manager Follow @elPedroMajor Reply Retweet   13:24 Feb-14
      Save a tree - kill a beaver

      On 15 February 2012 09:34, Michael James <mj4scrum@...> wrote:

      On Feb 14, 2012, at 3:36 AM, Nicholas wrote:

      I think it works best when the team and product owner have a large voice in the selection but, I think management has to play a role too because the Scrum Master has a delivery responsibility.

      Not sure what you mean by "delivery responsibility," but it seems to clash with the definition of ScrumMaster I learned from Ken Schwaber.  A huge part of the ScrumMaster's job is to address impediments caused by the outer organization, which may involve asking management* to change some of its habits.

      I could see some teams turning it into a popularity contest and the politics of the selection might take on a life of its own - a bad thing.

      From what I've seen, people are respected by their immediate collaborators for good reasons, such as being good at doing their jobs and helping others do their jobs.  People may be good at impressing bosses for similar reasons, or less good reasons.  Who would you believe if my boss said I was a great guy, but the people who actually worked with me didn't trust me?

      --mj

      * As an aside, the idea of a "management" caste isn't a necessary part of an unimpeded organization.

    • Abhilash c
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 15, 2012

        i have heard this many times :(. If team feels that they need a technical SM then i believe that rather than removing the SM we should question the technical capacity of the tech lead in the team. The primary job of the SM is to work on the impediments and help create a self sustaining team. If SM starts providing all the technical solutions, analysis and guidance then he/she will be the biggest impediment preventing the team from self organising and sustaining

        On 15 February 2012 21:41, Joshua Partogi <joshua.java@...> wrote:

        Hi George,

        The team have a Scrum Master, but he is a former traditional project manager with no technical background. In some cases the SM cannot help the team with technical impediments. That is why the team is thinking to replace the SM with someone who is more technical.

        On Wednesday, February 15, 2012, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:

        > Joshua,
        >
        > On 2/14/12 3:10 AM, Joshua Partogi wrote:
        >>
        >> In related to the discussion on the other thread about whether a Scrum
        >> Master should have a technical knowledge in software development, can
        >> the team decide to replace the Scrum Master if they found that the Scrum
        >> Master is not effective? Also considering that the team now has full
        >> authority with the project at tactical level.
        >
        > If the Scrum Master is not effective, then it seems the team already
        > does not have a Scrum Master.
        >
        > In what ways is the team finding the Scrum Master ineffective? What is
        > the team currently doing about that?
        >
        > - George
        >
        > P.S. I've also known teams who wanted to get rid of their Scrum Master
        > so they could continue to not do Scrum at all.
        >
        > --

        @jpartogi

      • Ram Srinivasan
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 15, 2012

          Joshua:

          Looks like you have a quality issue here. Is there an agreement between the stakeholders on "definition of done"?  TDD is a good practice, but what is the cause for the bugs that keep showing up? I don't exactly know your context, but might be the cause is something else, did you think about it ? Incompetent team? PO who is not fully committed? Something else? If I were you, I would do a root cause analysis

          If you are a part of this dev team, why don't you suggest ATDD/TDD during your retrospectives ? I might be wrong, but the picture I get from this email chain is that even if the SM suggests a technical practice, the team might discount it as the SM does not have a technical background.

          I had been SM for teams which did not practice TDD initially, but regardless, a good scrum master should solve problems for the team (either by helping the team solve the problem, or by using his positional authority ) or bubble up problems which he cannot solve to PO or management

          Cheers,
          Ram

          --
          Sent from a phone that often corrects words I tapped (or "swyped" )  to words I may not have meant.

          On Feb 16, 2012 7:56 AM, "Joshua Partogi" <joshua.java@...> wrote:

          Hi George,

          One obvious technical impediment is bugs that keeps showing up. The team doesn't know anything things TDD and neither does the Scrum Master. The SM cannot suggest any improvement in related to this during sprint retro as he doesn't have tecnical background.

          --
          @jpartogi