Agile Thoughts by General George S. Patton

  • woynam
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2012
      I never realized how much agility drove "Old Blood and Guts".

      On team empowerment:

      "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton

      On management by walking around:

      "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." - General George S. Patton

      On good enough planning:

      "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." - General George S. Patton

      On the drawbacks of a rigid process:

      "Fixed fortifications are monuments to man's stupidity." - General George S. Patton

      On the value of people over tools:

      "Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men." - General George S. Patton

      On teams:

      "An Army is a team; lives, sleeps, eats, fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is a lot of crap." - General George S. Patton

      On the dangers of over-specialization:

      "Many soldiers are led to faulty ideas of war by knowing too much about too little." - General George S. Patton
    • Aeden Jameson
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 28, 2012
        These are really great quotes.

        Cheers,
        Aeden

[...]

      • Michael James

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012

            Good stuff from 'blood and guts'.
            I wonder to what extent good fighting forces are really run by command and control, especially in war time.

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
                +1 :)

                On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:28 PM, srinivas chillara <ceezone@...> wrote:

[...]

                Ram Srinivasan, PMP, CSM, CSPO, ACP, CSP
                T:+1-848-248-4964
                www.ramvasan.com

                Twitter LinkedIn
                Contact me: Google Talk vasan.ram Skype ramvasan
              • Bret Wortman

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
                    According to my good friends in the military, correct command and control is quite agile. The superior officer commands. The commands soldier controls.

                    Business has generally warped command and control by investing both in the same person.

                    Alan

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
                      Alan,

                      > According to my good friends in the military, correct command and
                      > control is quite agile.

                      I've read to Page 40 in MCDP6 - Command and Control (in the Marine
                      Corp). This is the chapter where they explain the difference between
                      command and control. I may say this wrong, but it seems command involves
                      "do this" and control forms the feedback to the command.

                      The following chapters include Boyd's work (OODA) and don't resemble
                      what I've come to associate with "Command and Control".

                      For those interested, you can get a copy here:
                      http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/service_pubs/mcdp6.pdf

                      --
                      Don Gray (336)414-4645
                      http://www.donaldegray.com

                      The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter
                      his life by altering his attitudes of mind.
                      William James

                      Change your attitude by attending the AYE Conference
                      AYE: Exploring Human Systems in Action http://www.AYEconference.com
                      Nov 4 - 8, 2012
                    • Steve Ropa
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
                        Its been a few years, but back in my Navy days we talked about C3(well, C cubed, but the I don't have superscript capabilities on this email client). The C's were Command, Control, and Communication. The description you have for the Marine Corps fits what we discussed.

                        It has always amazed me how much people misinterpret how the military works. I actually credit my military training with forming the best context for my being able to be comfortable with Agile. Especially the part about building a team around motivated individuals, giving them the environment they need to succeed, then *trust them to get the job done*.

                        Alan,

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
                          Almost not at all. Many people seem to equate high discipline and clear chain of command with what we have come to call command and control. The days of "Wearing red and marching in a straight line" are long gone. To use a Navy analogy, as its the one I know best, the Admiral directs the strategy. We want the fleet to sail to thiis area in order to protect civilian traffic and keep the Sea Lines of Communication open. The Captain of each ship is given a station to keep withing the formation. How he sails his ship to stay in that station is his business. The flag Admiral doesn't know and really can't be bothered with how the Captain is doing it.

                          When combat enters the picture, each Captain is expected to fight his ship according to previously communicated goals and rules of engagement. I am sure that the other branches are oriented in the same general direction. I may be wrong, but most ground pounders tend to aim for squad based interaction. Small teams working together and staying together, learning how to communicate and understand each other...hmmmm that sounds familiar.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
                            When i play the Manifesto backwards at a slow speed, I hear the words "I buried Paul"....and it screws up my needle.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
                              I was in ROTC in college(Texas A&M Corps of Cadets, to be specific), and learned a few things about military leadership there.

                              I've often thought that Scrum was just a way of describing what the military calls "good leadership."  Even in the military(based on my studies and my friends who are current officers), command and control is a niche leadership style that is used rarely, and a more "highly delegative" style is used the vast majority of the time.

                              I also found it interesting that when I visited once of my Navy buddy's ships, he and his sailors were having a "daily standup" when I showed up.

                              Jeff Sutherland was prior military, so I've always wondered how much of what he learned in the military was applied to Scrum.

                              -------
                              Charles Bradley
                              http://www.ScrumCrazy.com

[...]

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • woynam
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
                                "In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless but planning is indispensable." - General/President Dwight D. Eisenhower

                                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Alan Dayley <alandd@...> wrote:

                                > According to my good friends in the military, correct command and control is quite agile. The superior officer commands. The commands soldier controls.
                                >
                                > Business has generally warped command and control by investing both in the same person.
                                >
                                > Alan
                                >
                                > On Feb 29, 2012, at 2:57 AM, srinivas chillara <ceezone@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > > Good stuff from 'blood and guts'.
                                > > I wonder to what extent good fighting forces are really run by command and control, especially in war time.

                              • Steve Crago
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
                                  It's all great until you get that one commander who is a micro-manager, just like in civilian life, then all bets are off even in a war zone.  Of course, that's why frag's were invented ... :-o) --- a little bit of military humor...

                                  USMC - 1971 to 1976
                                  US Army - 1976 to 1992
                                  Agile practitioner - 2008 to Present
                                  ooohhhhh rrrraaaaahhhh

                                  Steve
                                • Steve Ropa
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012

                                    You know, it goes even further than that.  Not only did we have “daily standups” in each department, but also at the beginning of the day, all of us officers would assemble on the fantail for “officers’ call”, which was absolutely a Scrum of Scrums.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 29, 2012
                                      Wasn't just officers! Morning role call or muster for whatever branch was key.

                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 1, 2012

                                        Yeah, but a frag in an engineering compartment on a cruiser can ruin your whole day….