What tools do people use for managing user story development?

  • David Karr
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
      This isn't really a scrum question, but I imagine people here would
      have some information about this.

      I'm investigating what software tools a new agile team might consider,
      but outside of the realm of developing and testing the software
      itself. For instance, do people typically use software tools
      specifically for managing user story development on a team, or do they
      just cobble together Word documents or wiki pages?
    • jamesjhawkins
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2012
        My experience was that there wasn't much available in the cheap and free tools. These tools focus on the needs of the Sprint.
        Some tools don't even seem to recognise that stories can go through quite a bit of work before being shown to the Scrum team.

        The more expensive tools, such as Rally, have some features that support user story development:

        * Stories are modelled as having a number of possible states. One state will typically be labelled "Grooming" or something similar. In this state, the story probably won't be put forward for sprint planning. The story can still be seen, and its text may be worked on by the product owner, or by the Scrum, or by anybody else invited to do so by the product owner.
        At some point the story will be good enough to be put forward for sprint planning, and the product owner will shift it out of the Grooming state.

        * Stories can have sub-stories. This is useful for organising reuirements. This might seem like an unnecessary level of hierarchy. I suppose it depends on the scale of the development project.

        If you have a wiki and people are already using that for effective collaboration, I'd say use that at the outset. Maybe embed links to the wiki pages from whatever Scrum tool you do use?

        Cheers, Jim
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012
          David,

          What I have seen used specifically for User Story documentation:
          • Wikis
          • Note cards
          • VersionOne
          • Jira/Greenhopper
          • Whiteboards(Usually in combination with Note cards for ordering PB)
          • Word docs
          I have not found a "typical" practice -- they vary widely.

          What I have seen that works best, IMO and IME, in this order:
          1. Note cards (if you can get away with smaller stories, high co-location of smaller team, and can fit most of what you need on a 5 x 8 card/sticky) (Though I've actually seen it done on 3 x 5 cards!)
          2. Whiteboards
          3. Wikis
          4. Word docs
          5. Jira/Greenhopper
          6. VersionOne

          I like the more flexible techniques, because I like and recommend that teams use a variety of Story Testing styles to express their acceptance tests -- and this requires huge flexibility in presentation (text, bullet points, tables, pictures, etc).  You can see more about the different story testing styles that I recommend in this article I wrote:
          http://www.scrumcrazy.com/Basic+Story+Testing+Styles

          Not having the multi-presentation capability is my biggest beef with using tools like Greenhopper or VersionOne for User Story details/Story tests, so I often recommend that teams just keep the title of the stories in the tool for PB ordering, and then use one of the other techniques (note cards, white boards, link from the tool to a wiki page, etc) for capturing Story details/acceptance tests.

          -------
          Charles Bradley

          This isn't really a scrum question, but I imagine people here would
          have some information about this.

          I'm investigating what software tools a new agile team might consider,
          but outside of the realm of developing and testing the software
          itself.  For instance, do people typically use software tools
          specifically for managing user story development on a team, or do they
          just cobble together Word documents or wiki pages?

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 15, 2012
            David,

            On 2/3/12 3:57 PM, David Karr wrote:
            > This isn't really a scrum question, but I imagine people here would
            > have some information about this.
            >
            > I'm investigating what software tools a new agile team might consider,
            > but outside of the realm of developing and testing the software
            > itself. For instance, do people typically use software tools
            > specifically for managing user story development on a team, or do they
            > just cobble together Word documents or wiki pages?

            Examples and conversation. See
            http://manage.techwell.com/articles/weekly/three-amigos

          • David Karr
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 15, 2012
              On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM, David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@...> wrote:
              > This isn't really a scrum question, but I imagine people here would
              > have some information about this.
              >
              > I'm investigating what software tools a new agile team might consider,
              > but outside of the realm of developing and testing the software
              > itself.  For instance, do people typically use software tools
              > specifically for managing user story development on a team, or do they
              > just cobble together Word documents or wiki pages?

              We already use Atlassian JIRA for issue tracking and CA Clarity for
              project tracking. Does anyone have any direct or indirect experience
              with either Atlassian GreenHopper or whatever CA suggests to use for
              agile project tracking inside Clarity?
            • avinap77
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 17, 2012
                Developing user stories entails mostly thinking and talking, so the tools are both widely variable and less important than the process itself.

                Nevertheless - and I'm really stretching to give some kind of input here:

                - For eliciting good stories - mind maps can help (I use XMind which is excellent)

                - For managing lists of stories - obviously excel or other spreadsheet/list app

                - For capturing details of any specific story - word docs, excel spredsheets, bitmaps for pictures, wikis , emails... anything that can capture the CCC and be used to communicate with coworkers.

                - Timer - for keeping meetings short :)

                HTH,
                Avi

                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@...> wrote:

                > This isn't really a scrum question, but I imagine people here would
                > have some information about this.
                >
                > I'm investigating what software tools a new agile team might consider,
                > but outside of the realm of developing and testing the software
                > itself. For instance, do people typically use software tools
                > specifically for managing user story development on a team, or do they
                > just cobble together Word documents or wiki pages?

              • Cipson
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 19, 2012

                  Worth giving a try with www.agilefant.org and its absolutely free. Never ever seen scrum teams love to use it because its simple, flexible and have ONLY features what a scrum team really required.

                  Cipson

                  On 17-Feb-2012 5:19 PM, "avinap77" <avi_a@...> wrote:

                  Developing user stories entails mostly thinking and talking, so the tools are both widely variable and less important than the process itself.

                  Nevertheless - and I'm really stretching to give some kind of input here:

                  - For eliciting good stories - mind maps can help (I use XMind which is excellent)

                  - For managing lists of stories - obviously excel or other spreadsheet/list app

                  - For capturing details of any specific story - word docs, excel spredsheets, bitmaps for pictures, wikis , emails... anything that can capture the CCC and be used to communicate with coworkers.

                  - Timer - for keeping meetings short :)

                  HTH,
                  Avi

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, David Karr <davidmichaelkarr@...> wrote:

                  > This isn't r...

                • Jose solera
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 20, 2012
                    We use our wiki (Atlassian) with Cucumber for mock ups. One of our app architects has built macros to keep the wiki in synch with Rally (tracking tool).

                    Jose

                    Sent from my iPad
                  • David Koontz
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
                      I've seen Mind-mapping tools used.  But the best tool is pen & paper and lots of wall space.  If you can visualize it on the wall - then your team can have valuable conversations about the backlog.  The direction the PO is taking the product, etc.  You could even start to use Story Mapping techniques to tell the story of the user task that the next release was going to solve.

                      D a v i d   K o o n t z

                    • JackM
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 1, 2012
                        Cards and a Scrum Board works great.

                        Stories can be captured in excel and you can templatize the backlog in excel pretty easily

                        Tools like Agilebuddy are great for small teams.

                        Jack