Minimum Viable Product

  • mayank gupta
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2012
      Hello,

      How do you help someone understand the concept of Minimum Viable Product? I guess, in principle, it is easy to explain but how does one explain with some real examples?

      Regards,
      Mayank
    • Justin Urbanski
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2012
        Read and show examples out of the book "The lean startup" by Eric Ries.

        Justin
      • Ram Srinivasan
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2012

          One way to understand user needs is to do a Kano analysis to find the threshold ( minimum needed) features. Agile estimating and planning (Mike Cohn) is one of the books that I know of, which explains Kano analysis

          Ram

          --
          Sent from a phone that often corrects words I tapped (or "swyped" )  to words I may not have meant.

          On Feb 4, 2012 12:48 PM, "mayank gupta" <mayankgupta_in@...> wrote:

          Hello,

          How do you help someone understand the concept of Minimum Viable Product? I guess, in principle, it is easy to explain but how does one explain with some real examples?

          Regards,
          Mayank
        • Malcolm Anderson
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2012
            Mayank

            What are you trying to accomplish?

            The reason I ask is because your question indicates that you are trying to convince someone of something.

            Before you do that you have to ask yourself, "Is this person, someone who can put the lean startup principles to work?"

            If you have to explain MVP, if they won't look at their own products and discover a possible MVP, then you're wasting your time with that person.

            Malcolm

            --

            Malcolm Anderson
            Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer

            On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM, mayank gupta <mayankgupta_in@...> wrote:

            Hello,

            How do you help someone understand the concept of Minimum Viable Product? I guess, in principle, it is easy to explain but how does one explain with some real examples?

            Regards,
            Mayank

          • gregc
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5, 2012
              Mayank,

              If you're looking for examples, just turn to eric ries lessons learned blog. There's a lot in there. If you are looking to demonstrate it, focus the conversation on segmentation or even design persona's, articulating the primary problem each segment has, and getting the person to select the minimum features needed to solve that problem. If, however, you haven't gotten to the point of segmenting, you'll have a hard time demonstrating the MVP. In which case I'd recommend listing the top target markets segments and spending time with people in those segments to validate if the need is there and understand it at a deeper level.

              -greg cohen

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Anderson <malcolm.b.anderson@...> wrote:

              > Mayank
              >
              > What are you trying to accomplish?
              >
              > The reason I ask is because your question indicates that you are trying to
              > convince someone of something.
              >
              > Before you do that you have to ask yourself, "Is this person, someone who
              > can put the lean startup principles to work?"
              >
              > If you have to explain MVP, if they won't look at their own products and
              > discover a possible MVP, then you're wasting your time with that person.
              >
              > Malcolm
              >
              > --
              >
              > Malcolm Anderson
              > Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer
              > http://www.PragmaticAgility.com/blog <http://www.pragmaticagility.com/blog>
              >

              > On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM, mayank gupta <mayankgupta_in@...>wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Hello,
              > >
              > > How do you help someone understand the concept of Minimum Viable Product?
              > > I guess, in principle, it is easy to explain but how does one explain with
              > > some real examples?
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Mayank

            • Roman Pichler
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
                Hi Mayank,

                If you are interested in applying the MVP in a Scrum context, you may find this post useful: http://bit.ly/rwwkL3

                Roman

                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, mayank gupta <mayankgupta_in@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > How do you help someone understand the concept of Minimum Viable Product? I guess, in principle, it is easy to explain but how does one explain with some real examples?
                >
                > Regards,
                > Mayank

              • N Jayakumar
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
                  Hi Roman,
                  Thanks for sharing the link.
                  Involving customer or customer representative to get feedback is crucial in this whole cycle.
                  Thanks
                  -Jai

                  > How do you help someone understand the concept of Minimum Viable Product? I guess, in principle, it is easy to explain but how does one explain with some real examples?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Mayank

                • Roman Pichler
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 20, 2012
                    Hi Ram,

                    The minimal viable product is a concept that is particularly helpful when you are trying to discover if there is a market for a new product.

                    The Kano model assumes that you already know your target group and are therefore in apposition to understand the relationship between feature presence and customer satisfaction.

                    Best regards,
                    Roman

                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...> wrote:

                    > One way to understand user needs is to do a Kano analysis to find the
                    > threshold ( minimum needed) features. Agile estimating and planning (Mike
                    > Cohn) is one of the books that I know of, which explains Kano analysis
                    >
                    > Ram
                    >
                    > --
                    > Sent from a phone that often corrects words I tapped (or "swyped" ) to
                    > words I may not have meant.
                    > On Feb 4, 2012 12:48 PM, "mayank gupta" <mayankgupta_in@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Hello,
                    > >
                    > > How do you help someone understand the concept of Minimum Viable Product?
                    > > I guess, in principle, it is easy to explain but how does one explain with
                    > > some real examples?
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > > Mayank

                  • Ram Srinivasan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 20, 2012
                      Thanks Roman. Thanks for the clarification. What are your thoughts on Innovation games, which can be used for primary market research ?

                      On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Roman Pichler <roman.pichler@...> wrote:

                      Hi Ram,

                      The minimal viable product is a concept that is particularly helpful when you are trying to discover if there is a market for a new product.

                      The Kano model assumes that you already know your target group and are therefore in apposition to understand the relationship between feature presence and customer satisfaction.

                      Best regards,
                      Roman

                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...> wrote:

                      > One way to understand user needs is to do a Kano analysis to find the
                      > threshold ( minimum needed) features. Agile estimating and planning (Mike
                      > Cohn) is one of the books that I know of, which explains Kano analysis
                      >
                      > Ram
                      >
                      > --
                      > Sent from a phone that often corrects words I tapped (or "swyped" ) to
                      > words I may not have meant.
                      > On Feb 4, 2012 12:48 PM, "mayank gupta" <mayankgupta_in@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **

                      > > Hello,
                      > >
                      > > How do you help someone understand the concept of Minimum Viable Product?
                      > > I guess, in principle, it is easy to explain but how does one explain with
                      > > some real examples?
                      > >
                      > > Regards,
                      > > Mayank

                    • Victor Hugo de Oliveira
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
                        Hello,

                           To explain the concept to someone that wants to do a project, I'd recommend doing an exercise over the proposed project considering less and less available budget. There is nothing like a limited budget to get the concept right.

                        --
                        Atenciosamente,
                        Victor Hugo de Oliveira

                        @v_oliv
                        Scrum & Agile Blog
                        http://csvo.wordpress.com

                      • Roman Pichler
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 2, 2012
                          I would suggest to keep the upfront market research to a minimum in Scrum. Aim to quickly create a product increment, expose it to the users, and analyse their feedback. This allows you to learn what your users really need and how you can best address their needs.

                          If innovation games help you in this process then use them. But be aware that your initial product backlog should resemble a collection of ideas rather than hard and fast requirements:

                          http://www.romanpichler.com/blog/product-backlog/product-backlog-learning-tool/

                          Does this help?