Re: [scrumdevelopment] Implementation of Scrum

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
      Eduardo,

      On 1/19/12 11:17 AM, Eduardo Cristiano Negrão wrote:

      > Hello guys!

      Hi, I just noticed your message today, and it looked like you didn't get
      any responses.

      > I am starting my career of Scrum Coach and I will do my first training
      > in a company which is interested in to implement Scrum in its process.
      > But, there are so many employees that have been worked with tradicional
      > methods for more than 15 years.

      Yes, pay attention to the things they know that are working for them
      that you might want to keep doing. Don't throw out the baby with the
      bathwater, as they say. Starting Scrum doesn't mean forgetting
      everything that came before.

      > The structure of the company is quite hierarquical and the most people
      > have no idea about what is Scrum.
      >
      > My goal: I have just one day available for the training 20 people there
      > and I hope to explore the major concepts and also convince the most
      > people I can about the benefits in change their minds from a defined
      > process into an empirical process. So, these people probably can spread
      > these ideas to their coleagues and help the company to succeed on this
      > implementation.

      Of course one day is insufficient to do all that. I would shoot for a
      little understanding of Scrum and request a "willing suspension of
      disbelief" in order to give it an opportunity to be useful for them.

      > The company is basicaly focused on building new features and doing
      > maintainance tasks for its ERP products wich it sells for its customers.
      >

      > The bottom line is: I will appreciate so much the collaborations you can
      > give me about what to teach in this training in order to achieve my
      > goal. I know there are so many experienced Scrum Coachs in this group
      > that could help me.

      You haven't said anything about your background and skills. I'll assume
      that you're knowledgeable about scrum, but in what ways have you studied
      coaching?

      Three books I've found helpful are

      The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice
      Successfully (http://amzn.to/xR6zMJ) by Gerald M. Weinberg

      Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
      (http://amzn.to/yzZ9Pu) by Peter Block

      The Mindful Coach: Seven Roles for Facilitating Leader Development
      (http://amzn.to/xHE8Zn) by Doug Silsbee

      Hope this helps,
      George

    • Eduardo Cristiano Negrão
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
        Ok George!

        Your answers will be very useful!

        I'm gonna read one of theses books, for sure.

        Thank you so much!

        Sincerely,

        Eduardo Cristiano Negrão - eduardocnegrao@...

        Software Engineer

      • Ram Srinivasan
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012

          Mike Cohn (mountaingoatsoftware.com) has a couple of presentations( under cc v3 license) on agile, scrum, user stories, and agile estimation and planning (sorry , not near a computer and hence unable yui get you the links)

          I suggest you customize your presentation with some interactive games so that they have fun when learning lean + agile/scrum principles (innovationgames.com, tastycupcakes.org, http://www.gogamestorm.com)

          Also have some score buffer, thats something I find very useful when doing a workshop

          Good luck.
          Ram

          On Feb 1, 2012 7:33 PM, "Eduardo Cristiano Negrão" <eduardocnegrao@...> wrote:

          Hello guys!

[...]

          I await your return and thank you all for the attention.

          Sincerely,