Re: [scrumdevelopment] Relative value of Mike Cohn CSM vs more generic CSM

  • Bret Wortman
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 23, 2012
      I second Ron's sentiment. I was fortunate to have Jeff Sutherland co-teach my CSM class and while I don't think it cost me any extra, I would have certainly paid the equivalent of a couple hundred extra pounds for the privilege, and I'd put Mike Cohn into that group as well. Jeff's stories from the field, and from his years and years of Scrum experience were invaluable and highly illustrative and provided illumination into how all this would work in the real world.

      Now, how much extra would I pay to attend a Scrum course taught by Bonnie Raitt? Now there's a good question....  :-)

      Bret

      On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 6:54 AM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      Hi Michael,

      On Jan 23, 2012, at 5:52 AM, Michael Jones wrote:

      They didn't see the value add of attending a course given by a thought leader in Scrum vs a professional trainer.

      I'm considering paying the difference myself if the company will let me.

      So my question is this: do you feel there's a great deal of extra value in attending a course given by Mike (or someone of equivalent stature) vs a relatively unknown professional trainer?

      Yes. Your company should pay it, actually. He literally wrote the books on planning and user stories for Scrum.

      All the CSTs have been through a rigorous selection process but it is a bit like asking whether to listen to your local bar band or pay a bit extra to hear Bonnie Raitt.

      Why pay now when we can pay later?