Re: {Spam} [scrumdevelopment] Re: Sprint length debate

  • Abhilash
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 22 9:16 AM
      The sprint duration depends on team and type of project. You will have to find your equilibrium. Experiment and find what suits best for you. I have teams with one & two weeks sprints.

       Reduce the sprint duration
      • if there is a lot of churn in the product backlog
      • team is not able to meet the commitments properly
      • sprint burn down is not proper
      • The quality of deliverable is bad ( lots of bugs or acceptance criteria not met)

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 6, 2012
        I am currently running one week sprints for several reasons:
        1. We are working on a huge project where the specs are also in progress
        2. We don't have other backlog items that we can work on between receiving specs.
        3. My team is not great at reporting feedback/storypoints/ issues so having one week sprints helps me keep updated on the progress of my team

        Last sprint planning meeting i suggested switching back to two week sprints, and surprisingly enough I got a lot of feedback from my team saying they like the one week sprints because it forces them to check in on works in progress more often.

        From: Alberto Bastos <abastos@...>Sent: Friday, 20 January 2012 7:23 AM

        2 weeks is the best for us!

        Enviado via iPhone

        Em 19/01/2012, às 23:37, "JackM" <jack@...> escreveu:

        I am a big fan of two week sprints. I wrote a blog about this once on blog.agilebuddy.com. Never the less I have experimented with 1, 2 and 3 week sprints. I like 2 the best. But we do run 1 week sprints whenever there's high risk stuff going on. That way you get transparency earlier. I highly recommend not going with 4 week sprints .. it's too long to wait to see results.

        Hope this helps
        Jack
        www.agilebuddy.com

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "WortmanB" <bret@...> wrote:

        > I'm curious as to what the community thinks about 2 weeks prints vs 3 week sprints, or sprint durations of any other length. The team I'm working with right now has settled on 3 week sprints to minimize the overhead of the meetings and have more development days per sprint.
        >
        > My own gut feeling is that they'd be better served by having more opportunities to plan and to inspect and adapt along the way, especially as this is a new team with relatively little scrum experience. But what does the community think? Where does the greater value lie?
        >

        > Bret Wortman

      • JackM
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 13, 2012
          I find it incredible actually how teams gravitate to the Scrum process. Once they get into the swing of it, they actually embrace it so I am not surprised.

          I suggest if they choose 1 week, do it.

          Cheers
          Jack
          www.agilebuddy.com