Implementation of Scrum

  • Eduardo Cristiano Negrão
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2012
      Hello guys!

      I am starting my career of Scrum Coach and I will do my first training in a company which is interested in to implement Scrum in its process. But, there are so many employees that have been worked with tradicional methods for more than 15 years.

      The structure of the company is quite hierarquical and the most people have no idea about what is Scrum.

      My goal: I have just one day available for the training 20 people there and I hope to explore the major concepts and also convince the most people I can about the benefits in change their minds from a defined process into an empirical process. So, these people probably can spread these ideas to their coleagues and help the company to succeed on this implementation.

      The company is basicaly focused on building new features and doing maintainance tasks for its ERP products wich it sells for its customers.

      The bottom line is: I will appreciate so much the collaborations you can give me about what to teach in this training in order to achieve my goal. I know there are so many experienced Scrum Coachs in this group that could help me.

      I await your return and thank you all for the attention.

      Sincerely,

      --
      Eduardo Cristiano Negrão - eduardocnegrao@...

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
        Eduardo,

        On 1/19/12 11:17 AM, Eduardo Cristiano Negrão wrote:

        > Hello guys!

        Hi, I just noticed your message today, and it looked like you didn't get
        any responses.

        > I am starting my career of Scrum Coach and I will do my first training
        > in a company which is interested in to implement Scrum in its process.
        > But, there are so many employees that have been worked with tradicional
        > methods for more than 15 years.

        Yes, pay attention to the things they know that are working for them
        that you might want to keep doing. Don't throw out the baby with the
        bathwater, as they say. Starting Scrum doesn't mean forgetting
        everything that came before.

        > The structure of the company is quite hierarquical and the most people
        > have no idea about what is Scrum.
        >
        > My goal: I have just one day available for the training 20 people there
        > and I hope to explore the major concepts and also convince the most
        > people I can about the benefits in change their minds from a defined
        > process into an empirical process. So, these people probably can spread
        > these ideas to their coleagues and help the company to succeed on this
        > implementation.

        Of course one day is insufficient to do all that. I would shoot for a
        little understanding of Scrum and request a "willing suspension of
        disbelief" in order to give it an opportunity to be useful for them.

        > The company is basicaly focused on building new features and doing
        > maintainance tasks for its ERP products wich it sells for its customers.
        >

        > The bottom line is: I will appreciate so much the collaborations you can
        > give me about what to teach in this training in order to achieve my
        > goal. I know there are so many experienced Scrum Coachs in this group
        > that could help me.

        You haven't said anything about your background and skills. I'll assume
        that you're knowledgeable about scrum, but in what ways have you studied
        coaching?

        Three books I've found helpful are

        The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice
        Successfully (http://amzn.to/xR6zMJ) by Gerald M. Weinberg

        Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
        (http://amzn.to/yzZ9Pu) by Peter Block

        The Mindful Coach: Seven Roles for Facilitating Leader Development
        (http://amzn.to/xHE8Zn) by Doug Silsbee

        Hope this helps,
        George

      • Eduardo Cristiano Negrão
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012
          Ok George!

          Your answers will be very useful!

          I'm gonna read one of theses books, for sure.

          Thank you so much!

          Sincerely,

          Software Engineer

        • Ram Srinivasan
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2012

            Mike Cohn (mountaingoatsoftware.com) has a couple of presentations( under cc v3 license) on agile, scrum, user stories, and agile estimation and planning (sorry , not near a computer and hence unable yui get you the links)

            I suggest you customize your presentation with some interactive games so that they have fun when learning lean + agile/scrum principles (innovationgames.com, tastycupcakes.org, http://www.gogamestorm.com)

            Also have some score buffer, thats something I find very useful when doing a workshop

            Good luck.
            Ram