Launching a new team on Agile / Scrum

  • Michael Jones
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
      Hi all,

      We're about to launch a new team on a new stream of work and we're going to be using Scrum.

      Some team members (the minority) have used Scrum before. Also, some have worked with each other, others are newbies.

      So my question is, before going into the first sprint planning, do you have any ideas on how to give a team a good introduction to Agile and get them into the right mindset?

      E.g. would you deliver a presentation detailing the ethos and the process artefacts etc? How do you make it more interactive and get the team to internalise the values?

      Is it reasonable to ask them to read the manifesto, scrum guide, etc?

      (some ideas we discussed here were getting them to convert each point in the Agile manifesto to 3 key words, etc - a bit cringe-y perhaps, but good as an icebreaker)

      Thanks for any ideas!
      Michael
    • Don McGreal
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
        Hi Michael,

        Two quick and powerful techniques I use all the time are:

        Presto Manifesto (http://tastycupcakes.org/2009/06/presto-manifesto/) where teams effectively build their own manifesto, which we can then link to the agile manifesto values.

        Pocket-sized Principles (http://tastycupcakes.org/2010/01/pocket-sized-principles/) which is the 'cringe-y' technique you mentioned. It gets people discussing and thinking about the agile principles for themselves.

        Both are great ice breakers that can set the stage for an agile and scrum talk.

        Don McGreal

[...]

      • Seyit Caglar Abbasoglu
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
          I'd say it might be very productive to start with stating your real expectations very clearly like "I'm expecting a working software continuously", or "I'm expecting a very low bug count", or "I'm expecting a continuous productivity increase". Then ask them "how they want to handle this expectations?".

          And if  they can't find reliable solutions to some of the expectations you give, or they believe some of those expectations are impossible to achieve, give them the resources that they can learn how to do that (documents, coaching, training etc..).

          I believe with this approach there will be no resistance problems and it might create a lot more motivation compared to saying "We're going to use SCRUM and this is why!".
        • Mohamed Ibrahim Omar
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=TWSXETDWGQ4
            This intro could help.

            --
            Thanks & Best Regards,
            Eng.Mohamed Ibrahim Omar

          • Pierre Neis
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
              Make it easy:
              1. kick off meeting with the reasons why you choose scrum
              2. train your people on scrum
              3. then do it

              Pierre E.  NEIScsp

              PMO Advisor @ coPROcess S.A.
              │ Scrum & Lean Coach

              M: +352 / 661 727 867  - Skype: pierre.neis
              Meet with me: http://meetwith.me/pierreneis

              Owner of The "
              Product Owner's Help Desk"

              Blogger Twitter LinkedIn SlideShare
              Contact me: Google Talk pierreneis@... Skype pierre.neis
              TwitterLatest tweet: a Daily NEIS's world! is out! http://t.co/YpLxwEdT ▸ Top stories today via @angel_m Follow @elPedroMajor Reply Retweet   13:03 Feb-01

              On 1 February 2012 13:37, Seyit Caglar Abbasoglu <scabbasoglu@...> wrote:

              I'd say it might be very productive to start with stating your real expectations very clearly like "I'm expecting a working software continuously", or "I'm expecting a very low bug count", or "I'm expecting a continuous productivity increase". Then ask them "how they want to handle this expectations?".

              And if  they can't find reliable solutions to some of the expectations you give, or they believe some of those expectations are impossible to achieve, give them the resources that they can learn how to do that (documents, coaching, training etc..).

              I believe with this approach there will be no resistance problems and it might create a lot more motivation compared to saying "We're going to use SCRUM and this is why!".

            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
                Michael,

                On 2/1/12 6:13 AM, Michael Jones wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > We're about to launch a new team on a new stream of work and we're going
                > to be using Scrum.
                >
                > Some team members (the minority) have used Scrum before. Also, some have
                > worked with each other, others are newbies.
                >
                > So my question is, before going into the first sprint planning, do you
                > have any ideas on how to give a team a good introduction to Agile and
                > get them into the right mindset?
                >
                > E.g. would you deliver a presentation detailing the ethos and the
                > process artefacts etc? How do you make it more interactive and get the
                > team to internalise the values?

                You might try the "59-Minute Scrum" exercise to give people a flavor

                > Is it reasonable to ask them to read the manifesto, scrum guide, etc?

                Sure, but I doubt that will be sufficient.

                > (some ideas we discussed here were getting them to convert each point in
                > the Agile manifesto to 3 key words, etc - a bit cringe-y perhaps, but
                > good as an icebreaker)

                It seems to me that you not only want people to have some understanding
                of Agile, but you want them to build a shared understanding.
                Transitioning to Agile is, itself, a project--on top of the nominal
                project. As such, it's risky to expect people to just pick it up by
                osmosis from others around them.

                I've started to think that some sort of project (and transition)
                chartering is the best way to grow common understanding and get things
                started with everyone moving in roughly the same direction. You might
                find Ainsley and Diana's book, Liftoff (http://amzn.to/zxO6n9) to be
                useful if you go in this direction.

                - George