Re: Design process in agile

  • Emma G
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 10, 2012
      Hi Andrew,

      Good to hear you've tried this approach too and thanks for the advice on how to get it to work.

      Do your team not use headphones at all then? I can see both sides of this, the only thing is when working on something particularly complex, e.g. coding a complex method or analysing a difficult business process, where you really need to concentrate, I think headphones can be useful.

      We tend to have a mixture of design stories and design tickets on stories. So do you do the design iteratively rather than before you start the story? We are thinking of using Balsamiq where needed instead of mock-ups.

      We have started trying to iron out our definition of DONE. There is a list of all tasks that may form a done story (e.g. BDD, CMS'd up etc), and then each story is tasked up appropriately as not all stories require each task of done. This is something new we have introduced after feedback during the retrospectives.

      Looking at the product frequently: so the product owner and rest of team reviewing the product throughout the sprint presumably?

      Working software by the end of the sprint is the goal indeed, and it's good to have this in the front of our minds.

      Thanks

      Emma

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Burrows <andy@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >
      > > Great feedback everyone, I have fed back to the team already and I think I
      > > will bring these points up in the retro.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > >
      > > Emma
      > >

      > > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, David A Barrett <dave.barrett@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > To me this doesn't sound like anything particular to "design", but
      > > simply
      > > > that you've got an external resource to manage.
      > > >
      > > > I've found that the defining element that makes a person a team member
      > > is
      > > > whether or not they would do *anything* to move the project along. This
      > > > could be stuffing envelopes, cleaning whiteboards, solving quadratic
      > > > equations, double checking calculations, testing GUI's, maybe even
      > > coding
      > > > --- anything, even if it isn't within their speciality. If somebody
      > > isn't
      > > > available to do *anything* when the project needs it, then they're not a
      > > > team member. End of discussion.
      > > >
      > > > People that aren't team members are, for lack of a better term, an
      > > > external resource. From a Scrum context, it's best to treat them as
      > > such.
      > > > As chickens, if you like. So they don't come to daily standups, and they
      > > > aren't part of retrospectives and so on. What that means is that the
      > > team
      > > > takes responsibility for the work that the external resource is supposed
      > > > to deliver, and they figure out a way to manage that resource. That
      > > > could mean coordinating with other teams that share the resource,
      > > defining
      > > > how the work is passed to the resource, monitoring progress and all of
      > > the
      > > > other stuff that comes up.
      > > >
      > > > But if you try to treat them like they are a team member, you'll have
      > > all
      > > > kinds of insoluble problems and probably end up saying something like,
      > > > "Scrum doesn't handle this well".
      > > >

      > > > Dave Barrett
      > > >

      > > > This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does
      > > not
      > > > waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or
      > > copying
      > > > of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended
      > > > recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please
      > > > delete it and advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.
      > > >
      > > > Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne
      > > > renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute
      > > diffusion,
      > > > utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient
      > > > par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est
      > > > interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez
      > > > le supprimer et m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier

    • Steve Ropa
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 10, 2012

        Hi Emma,

        How is the story adjusted?  Just as in adding the discovered Acceptance Criteria?  I still vote for aiming your acceptance criteria at what you would expect the working software to do, and implement it throughout the sprint.  As you discover new things, you know more about what you really wanted and can adjust on the fly.

        Now this will probably result in you discovering that your stories were too big, and you might have a couple of sprints where you feel like you didn’t “get the stories done”.  That’s a good and natural thing.  It will start the process of finding the best way to make your stories smaller.  The way you’ve described your team so far, I think you are definitely up to the challenge.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 10, 2012

          Hi Emma,

          About the headphones….its really hard to pair program when someone is wearing headphones!  J  I really like to work on encouraging folks to work together.  Headphones are really just portable walls.  That isn’t to say I would *ban* headphones, as that is a fairly command and control kind of thing, but I would put a ton of time and energy into encouraging a more interactive environment.  That complex method becomes much easier to implement when you are working the idea with someone else.