Re: [scrumdevelopment] Do we need a project manager in a scrum project?

  • Andrew Burrows
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2012
      Hey there,

      Can you explain why you need to appoint a scrum master to a scrum project?

      Andrew

      On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 3:15 AM, pgutierrezn <pgutierrez@...> wrote:

      Yes, I need to appoint a project manager to a scrum project. The following is a list of my alternatives. I'm very interested in your own answer:

      A.- No way. Project manager is not a valid role in scrum, so forget it.
      B.- Ok, appoint the Scrum Master but don't mess her role too much or it will do more harm than good
      C.- You know what. If the Product Owner is not a real customer but someone from your department interpreting that role... you might appoint her. But keep the Product Owner out of technical decisions and important estimations.
      D.- If the project has several teams working in parallel. Each with a scrum muster. You could appoint a classical project manager. Henrik Kniebert explains that case in "Scrum and XP from the trenches"

      --
      Andrew Burrows
      Managing Producer, Large Animal Games

    • Pierre Neis
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2012
        Hi, I'll try to fix your request according to PMI's knowledge areas and matching with Scrum roles. (L) is for lead, (M) for management:
        • Integration Management: PO (L), Dev Team (M)
        • Scope Management: PO (L), Dev Team (M)
        • Time Management: PO+SM (L), Dev Team (M)
        • Cost Management: PO (L)
        • Quality Management: PO (L), Dev Team (M)
        • HR Management: SM (L), Dev Team (M)
        • Communication: SM + PO (L)
        • Risk Management: PO + SM (L), Dev Team (M)
        • Procurement: SM (L), Dev Team (M)
        I will add this according to general PM:
        • Product Management: PO (L)
        • Process Management: SM (L)
        • Change Management: SM (L)
        • Coordination: SM (L)
        In a Transition to Scrum, PO role sounds the closest profile to traditional project manager role, but you have to take into account:
        • that the project organization is a matrix organization
        • that this is real project management with dedicated team
        • this is 4 eyes leadership: SM+PO
        • Development Team is self organized
        • Stakeholders are part of the project in dynamic iterative risk and scope management
        If you are not able to make "pure" scrum you have to ask yourself what's the issue of your project:
        • if you need to deliver time & scope boxed: then fix the PO
        • if you need to deliver resources & scope boxed: then fix the SM
        • if you need to deliver resources & time: then fix the PO + SM

        Pierre E.  NEIScsp

        PMO Advisor @ coPROcess S.A.
        │ Scrum & Lean Coach

        M: +352 / 661 727 867  - Skype: pierre.neis
        Meet with me: http://meetwith.me/pierreneis

        Owner of The "
        Product Owner's Help Desk"

        Blogger Twitter LinkedIn SlideShare
        Contact me: Google Talk pierreneis@... Skype pierre.neis
        TwitterLatest tweet: a Daily NEIS's world! is out! http://t.co/YpLxwEdT ▸ Top stories today via @borisgloger Follow @elPedroMajor Reply Retweet   13:04 Jan-09

        On 9 January 2012 18:52, Andrew Burrows <andy@...> wrote:
        appoint

      • Steve Ropa
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2012

          Andrew, are you suggesting that as an alternative answer?  If so, I like it.

          My interpretation of the OP is that this requirement is being handed down from above.  So my suggestion is:  “Please tell me a little about what you would like the Project Manager to do, so I can determine the best person for the role.  In most cases a PM is not required in this type of environment, but I am ready to identify the best person to fulfill your needs”