Re: Scrum without Scrum Master

  • norman rich
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2011

      If think there was a saying in the days of the Nasa, something to the effect that couldn’t be an astronautics program without an astronaut.

      Can in point, I recently completed an assignment for a large, stable , financial services company. We attempted to do a pilot in Scrum while preserving all of the details of their SDLC PMO (which was an excellent one). Scrum is an adjustment, sometimes a large one in collate with the business unit, mutually responsibility, setting goals. I just cannot see a large organization on a major software project, succeeding in agile without daily coaching.

      The reality, in that in a lot of companies, the best answer is a hybrid process. But that requires detailed Experience, real experience successfully implementing real project.

      Don’t mean to come on this strong, but there is a consulting industry emerging in failed projects ; waterfall, or agile.

      I liken it a bit to the revolution that took place in Japan in the car industry. Lowering defects by empowering the team. This was a paradigm shift for many companies. I wasn’t easy, and it didn’t happen overnight, and I took years for companies to learn. (that is how Japan captured the majority of the U.S. automotive market.

      Taken to its extreme, It is like being given a project due in a month, with developers to be defined. It is better just to say “NO”, and never embark on a journey that’s success rate approaches 0%.

      Finally, my guess is that the right elements of the company are not involved. Although we are speaking about execution, it is really a strategy shift purposely initiated. If there a no daily team member who are NOT with IT. Yes, it is going to fail.

      Sorry, and not to be offensive but this message struck a chord.

      Best of luck.