Re: Advice with app rewrite with scrum

  • bendaygupta
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 22, 2011
      Hi David,

      When I saw this thread, I immediately thought "hey...I wrote an article about rewrite projects" and then I saw that you'd already seen it.  I'm glad someone actually read it!  :-)

      Another tip is that your Scrum Master is going to need to get in front of complaints about slow delivery.  Organizations frequently forget how long it took to write the original application.  For example, I have a customer who was rewriting their app.  The original app took about 6 years to write.  The new team re-wrote most of it in a year but there was lots of grumbling throughout the company about how long it was taking to write.  "It's taking them forever to re-write the application.  Can you believe that it's been over a year and they still don't have Feature Xyz in there!?"

      Someone else on this thread suggested doing the re-write as a gradual replacement.  If that's an option, definitely do it this way.  It would probably eliminate the perceived slow delivery problem and would allow the team to deliver features incrementally.  In a lot of cases this isn't possible because the existing application is such a mess that there isn't a good way to tease it apart and/or the business logic has changed so much that it'd be nearly impossible to replace in chunks.

      Whatever you do, make sure that you're delivering working software each sprint.  And if you haven't delivered working software, be sure to discuss why in the Retrospective.

      -Ben
      http://blog.benday.com