Re: [scrumdevelopment] Justify full Time Scrum Master? Need help

  • Andrew Pham
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 3, 2011
      On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 8:56 PM, ag12340@... <ag12340@...> wrote:

      I am new to Scrum. Attended 2 day training.

      my title: dev manager

      current process: requirements doc, arch and design, iterative and incremental dev, handoff to qa, deploy. We deploy every 3 months.

      Good things: We can go back and change requirements and design. PO and biz owner is very involved and very accessible.

      Team: Cross functional 7 devs. QA is outside.

      My boss is onboard with Scrum. He loves 300% productivity improvement scrum has many studies for and daily meetings.

      He thinks (wants) we should be able to hit 100% productivity improvement in an year (our goal for Scrum) and 40% in 6 months.

      I requested for a full time scrum master. He want justification for extra cost and wants to know why I or some PM cannot do it.

      There is no justification for a (certified) ScrumMaster, especially with people getting automatically a certification after a two-day class with no passing or failing test.

      Change is hard but Scrum itself, as a project management process framework, is very simple, especially after you get management's understanding and support as well as buying and excitement from the team.

      What you guys (and any project team new to Scrum) would need is a practicing coach to help you with the process, which they can learn by reading Ken's and Jeff's Scrum guide and one or two practical books and, especially, by working with and learning from the practicing coach.

      Cheers,

      Andrew

      Author of
      Scrum in Action, Agile Project Management and Development in the Real-World
      http://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Action-Andrew-Pham/dp/143545913X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1-1

      and of "Business-Driven IT-Wide Agile (Scrum) and/or Kanban (Lean) Implementation" (reviewed and upcoming)

      I said my hiring a full time SM, we will be able to reduce number of developers by 2 (from 7 to 5) in an year and still get more done.

      Is that a good justification? What else can I provide?

    • ag12340@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 3, 2011
        Thank you Andrew. I agree. It is important to have a coach for some initial period (few sprints, I guess time varies from team to team) and then have him come in from time to time.