agile contracts primer

  • craig.larman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2011
      hi,

      we've published a free 40-page introduction to agile contracts (aka these days evolutionary contracts), as the agile contracts primer.

      available at http://www.agilecontracts.org
      (we will eventually host it at agilecontracts.com, once we complete the domain transfer)

      it's a chapter from our book "Practices for Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Large, Multisite & Offshore Product Development with Large-Scale Scrum", co-authored with the (contract, …) lawyer tom arbogast, and with a side-bar story by greg hutchings (from valtech). it draws on our experience (e.g., doing "agile offshore" at valtech india, etc) both on the provider and client side of contract writing.

      it starts with addressing a root cause issue… which is not the contents of the contract ("how to write an agile contract?"), but rather the beliefs, assumptions, and behaviors of people writing contracts, such as contract lawyers ("why do people not write agile contracts?"). so, the introduction is aimed towards contract lawyers -- and we encourage sharing it with them.

      3 sections:
      • Thinking about Contracts (e.g., what should a contract lawyer understand)
      • Common Topics of Agile Contracts (e.g., liability, payment timing, pricing, …)
      • Contract Models (e.g., fixed "everything", variable-price variable-scope progressive, capped-price variable-scope, …)

      regards, craig larman & bas vodde
      www.craiglarman.com
      www.odd-e.com
      authors of:
      -Practices for Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Large, Multisite & Offshore Product Development with Large-Scale Scrum
      -Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum