Re: Scrum Applied to General Management

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 30, 2011
      Hi,

      You may wish to read, "The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century", by Stephen Dennings. Has a lot of good examples and has 7 Basic Principles for continous innovation.

      I would recommend this book for anyone. This book was required reading at the company I was at and used to help the sales team adopt a tailored version of Scrum.

      Bob Boyd
      http://implementingagile.blogspot.com/

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael Wollin <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > I'm looking for good reference articles and books about HOW to apply Scrum to general management. To be clear, it would be great to have references for just managing, independent of and unrelated to software projects.
      >
      > To quote our department VP, "If we could apply it effectively for [our department's Mgmt], I would think it could be looked at for broader use in [our division]."
      >
      > I am familiar with Jeff Sutherland's church example. Better would be a management book and business articles with practical how to that uses regular business domain as the example.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Michael

    • Voris, John
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2011
        Check out http://community.holacracy.org/topics-archived
        and http://holacracy.org/

        I know Brian Robertson and his work. It is excellent, and makes a lot of sense to me.

        John V.

        -==========================================-
        > Scrum Applied to General Management
        > Posted by: "Michael Wollin" Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:09 am (PST)

        > I'm looking for good reference articles and books about HOW to apply Scrum to general management.
        > To be clear, it would be great to have references for just managing, independent of and unrelated to software projects.
        > To quote our department VP, "If we could apply it effectively for [our department's Mgmt], I would think it could be looked at for broader use in [our division]."
        > I am familiar with Jeff Sutherland's church example. Better would be a management book and business articles with practical how to that uses regular business domain as the example.

        > Thanks.
        > Michael
      • Jochen Krebs
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2011
          Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum Applied to General Management Hi,
          I don’t have a book, paper or other “evidence” I can reference,  but I have helped a customer to implement agile practices across the entire organization after Scrum was a great success for the IT teams. In many instances we applied Scrum in others we used Kanban when it made more sense.  In terms of departments,  we covered marketing, sales, research, finance and business development (with legal).  Hope that helps. -Joe
          ---
          Jochen (Joe) Krebs
          Agile Coach, Trainer, Practitioner, Author and Speaker
          http://www.incrementor.com
          http://www.jochenkrebs.com
          http://www.twitter.com/jochenkrebs
          jkrebs@...
          914 689 6368

          Organizer of:
          http://www.agilenyc.org
          Agile Day (Annual 1-Day Conference in NYC)
          Agile NYC OPEN (Open Space UnConference)

          Host of the Agile NYC Podcast:
          http://feeds.feedburner.com/AgileNYC

          On 12/1/11 12:11 PM, "Voris, John" <john.voris@...> wrote:

          Check out http://community.holacracy.org/topics-archived
          and http://holacracy.org/

          I know Brian Robertson and his work.  It is excellent, and makes a lot of sense to me.

          John V.

          -==========================================-
          > Scrum Applied to General Management
          > Posted by: "Michael Wollin" Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:09 am (PST)

          > I'm looking for good reference articles and books about HOW to apply Scrum to general management.
          > To be clear, it would be great to have references for just managing, independent of and unrelated to software projects.
          > To quote our department VP, "If we could apply it effectively for [our department's Mgmt], I would think it could be looked at for broader use in [our division]."
          > I am familiar with Jeff Sutherland's church example. Better would be a management book and business articles with practical how to that uses regular business domain as the example.

          > Thanks.
          > Michael

        • Pierre Neis
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2011
            Hi John,

            One the best publication is http://jeffsutherland.org/scrum/SutherlandTakeNoPrisonersAgile2009.pdf it's about how Scrum is used by OpenView Capital.

            Pierre E.  NEIScsp

            Head of Lean Competence Centre @ coPROcess S.A.
            │ Scrum & Lean Coach

            M: +352 / 661 727 867  - Skype: pierre.neis
            Meet with me: http://meetwith.me/pierreneis

            On 1 December 2011 18:46, Jochen Krebs <mail@...> wrote:

            Hi,
            I don’t have a book, paper or other “evidence” I can reference,  but I have helped a customer to implement agile practices across the entire organization after Scrum was a great success for the IT teams. In many instances we applied Scrum in others we used Kanban when it made more sense.  In terms of departments,  we covered marketing, sales, research, finance and business development (with legal).  Hope that helps. -Joe
            ---
            Jochen (Joe) Krebs
            Agile Coach, Trainer, Practitioner, Author and Speaker
            http://www.incrementor.com
            http://www.jochenkrebs.com
            http://www.twitter.com/jochenkrebs
            jkrebs@...
            914 689 6368

            Organizer of:
            http://www.agilenyc.org
            Agile Day (Annual 1-Day Conference in NYC)
            Agile NYC OPEN (Open Space UnConference)

            Host of the Agile NYC Podcast:
            http://feeds.feedburner.com/AgileNYC

            On 12/1/11 12:11 PM, "Voris, John" <john.voris@...> wrote:

            Check out http://community.holacracy.org/topics-archived
            and http://holacracy.org/

            I know Brian Robertson and his work.  It is excellent, and makes a lot of sense to me.

            John V.

            -==========================================-
            > Scrum Applied to General Management
            > Posted by: "Michael Wollin" Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:09 am (PST)

            > I'm looking for good reference articles and books about HOW to apply Scrum to general management.
            > To be clear, it would be great to have references for just managing, independent of and unrelated to software projects.
            > To quote our department VP, "If we could apply it effectively for [our department's Mgmt], I would think it could be looked at for broader use in [our division]."
            > I am familiar with Jeff Sutherland's church example. Better would be a management book and business articles with practical how to that uses regular business domain as the example.

            > Thanks.
            > Michael

          • Peter Stevens
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 2, 2011
              Hi Michael,

              You might take a look at Steve Dennings 'Radical Management' - 80% is Scrum without the specific vocabulary. It focuses on the principles, not the practices or roles. He adds 'delighting the customer' as the explicit goal of the company and 'leadership storytelling' as an approach to change leadership. He has many examples outside of software, from building houses to building submarines...

              Cheers,

              Peter

              --
              Peter Stevens
              Scrum Trainer & Coach

              Switzerland: direct: +41 44 586 6450     cell: +41 79 422 6722
              USA:         direct: +1 202 657 6450
              World:       skype:  peterstev

              blog:        http://scrum-breakfast.com

            • Michael Wollin
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 2, 2011
                Appears to be exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

                On Dec 2, 2011, at 12:10 PM, Peter Stevens wrote:

                Hi Michael,

                You might take a look at Steve Dennings 'Radical Management' - 80% is Scrum without the specific vocabulary. It focuses on the principles, not the practices or roles. He adds 'delighting the customer' as the explicit goal of the company and 'leadership storytelling' as an approach to change leadership. He has many examples outside of software, from building houses to building submarines...

                Cheers,

                Peter

                On 30.11.11 20:09, Michael Wollin wrote:

                I'm looking for good reference articles and books about HOW to apply Scrum to general management.  To be clear, it would be great to have references for just managing, independent of and unrelated to software projects.

                To quote our department VP, "If we could apply it effectively for [our department's Mgmt], I would think it could be looked at for broader use in [our division]."

                I am familiar with Jeff Sutherland's church example. Better would be a management book and business articles with practical how to that uses regular business domain as the example.

                Thanks.

                Michael

                --
                Peter Stevens
                Scrum Trainer & Coach

                Switzerland: direct: +41 44 586 6450     cell: +41 79 422 6722
                USA:         direct: +1 202 657 6450
                World:       skype:  peterstev

                blog:        http://scrum-breakfast.com

                |**|-~-->

              • Andrew Pham
                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 3, 2011
                  Hi Wouter,

                  Sounds interesting but to be honest with you I do not believe too much in this using Scrum to transform the world, work, top management and all.

                  We would do a better job at using Scrum effecrtively first to improve software delivery in corporate environments (where software and IT are considered to be more a problem and a cost center), rather than trying to teach top management and the rest of the world how to use Scrum to transofrm their work!

                  When you know that most of our CIOs either are not invited at the CEO's table or sit very tight and keep a very low profile when general management speaks, it is almost utopia and a lack of humility to try to teach top management to use Scrum to transform their work.

                  Humility is key in life! (Even though I know some will dream and try to do marketing and to make money this way but good luck!)

                  Cheers,

                  Andrew

                  Author of
                  Scrum in Action, Agile Project Management and Development in the Real-World
                  http://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Action-Andrew-Pham/dp/143545913X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1-1

                  and of "Business-Driven IT-Wide Agile (Scrum) and/or Kanban (Lean) Implementation" (reviewed and upcoming)

                  On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Wouter Lagerweij <wouter@...> wrote:

                  I can't really help with anything very practical, but I did do a little experiment with a (partially distributed) management team, which I wrote up in http://www.lagerweij.com/2011/05/20/scrum-for-management/

                  In short: yes, improving communication and splitting work up in smaller parts works also for management teams. No, we didn't get a full cross-functional team (weren't really expecting that to happen), but people did get a better understanding of each-other's work. And yes, Scrums effects of making existing issues painfully obvious also worked well...

                  Wouter

                  On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Michael Wollin <yahoo@...> wrote:

                  I'm looking for good reference articles and books about HOW to apply Scrum to general management.  To be clear, it would be great to have references for just managing, independent of and unrelated to software projects.

                  To quote our department VP, "If we could apply it effectively for [our department's Mgmt], I would think it could be looked at for broader use in [our division]."

                  I am familiar with Jeff Sutherland's church example. Better would be a management book and business articles with practical how to that uses regular business domain as the example.

                  Thanks.

                  Michael

                  --
                  Wouter Lagerweij         | wouter@...

                • Wouter Lagerweij
                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 5, 2011
                    Hi Andrew,

                    No, as I was saying, the context didn't lend itself to doing 'real' scrum.

                    On the other hand, I do think that for many management teams it will be beneficial to be explicit about priorities, make progress transparent, and ensure that communication happens frequently.

                    In the situation I describe in my blog-post, both communication and learning were quickly improved, and helped the company. Is that Scrum? Not by a long shot. But still helpful:-)

                    Wouter