Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Distributed Scrum

  • Angel Java Lopez
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 22, 2011
      Another distributed experience:

      Angel "Java" Lopez
      http://twitter.com/ajlopez

      On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 8:32 AM, jamesjhawkins <jhawkins@...> wrote:

      Thanks for all the kind words, folks. In response to some of the comments...

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Charles Bradley - Scrum Coach CSM PSM I <chuck-lists2@...> wrote:
      > I do have some significant concerns with "Commandment 3: Use the Written Word" ... I would also have liked to see you remind people to pay some deference to valuing "working software over comprehensive documentation" and striving for the right balance of the written vs. spoken word.

      Good point. I'm certainly not in favour of comprehensive documentation, unless there's a need for it.
      Most recently, I've been working on a product that includes an SDK. The API Reference documentation is necessary; in that case it's a deliverable.
      Most of the written communication between the remote teams was on-demand. It would be more a case of one developer saying that they didn't understand what was being requested, and asking for something in writing that they could mull over. Of course, that may also have the effect of getting the person that made the original request to straighten out their own thoughts.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Michael James <mj4scrum@...> wrote:

      > I can think of a couple counterexamples. In those cases, the organization got people together physically in the beginning.

      Well, my experience in general has been: the bigger the kick-off, the less chance there is of success. But, like you also said elsewhere, it's probably not the kick-off that causes the failure.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Anderson <malcolm.b.anderson@...> wrote:

      > The one way hand offs that assume full comprehension of the problem being handed off.

      I might not have described it well. I recall that hand-offs were mostly two-way. The exception would be the off-line demos, I suppose.

      > The existence of bored Scrum Masters waiting to do PO work

      Good point. That's a smell alright.

      > The acceptance of dev and test being 2 separate departments

      In the project about which I wrote the post, there were different people focussed on test and code, true. They were in the same department though.
      Coders I've worked with are mostly keen to have somebody else test their work. They want another person's eyes.

      > The focus on efficiency over effectiveness.

      Yeah, I am a bit like that.

      Cheers, Jim