Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum with temporary outside staff

    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 17, 2011
      Greg,

      Agreed that judging ROI is difficult for NFP.  Just remember that "return" can come in just about any form -- financial, goodwill, good PR, supporting your mission, etc It's not always a number... I'm sure your org has a mission statement, and I'm sure someone is responsible for fundraising and the like and what those funds should support.  Someone somewhere(or maybe a committee -- more common with NFP's) will essentially have to decide which projects/features to fund, and this is really no different.

      In the 2010 Scrum Guide, an optional tip was that the SM could work with the stakeholders to pick the PO.  I would strongly assume that your SM is in IT.  Because the SM has a good feel (hopefully has the 'best' feel, but not always) for what the role entails, they are a good person to have strong influence in that pick.  The 'user rep' style of PO can work too so long as that person can spend a large portion of their time working interactively with the team AND so long as all of the work to be done on the team is in a product that the PO can make effective prioritization decisions for.  It also helps greatly if they have some back ground in software and software requirements(Most experienced PO's do, but in your situation, I would guess not).  The "PO Bottleneck" is one of the worst intra team Scrum Patterns that I've seen.  You can waste a lot of much needed funds with that problem.

      I'm not saying I know your situation well enough to know who is the right choice, but it's something I think you should give careful consideration to.   I think it takes quite a bit of org/project/team context to make a good decision there.   If you want advice on evaluating your candidates(or you can create fictitious ones that still convey your decision options), you know where to find us.

      -------
      Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
      Experienced Scrum Coach