Re: Maintenance Projects? (Re: Scrum Exception Cases Summary for fee

  • David A Barrett
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
      >Hello, David!
      >
      >If a feature has a defect, it is not done. There are a couple of ways
      >to handle it, fix it or put it on a list somewhere. My preference is
      >to fix it, then inspect our engineering practices to identify ways to
      >improve and adapt so that we don't release defects to our customers.

      This point always comes up in these discussions.  We're not talking about defects that are discovered during the Sprint(s) in which the feature is being developed.  Those, obviously, should be covered by the Team's "Definition of Done", and dealing with them should be anticipated as part of the estimate done at the Sprint planning meeting.

      What I was talking about, and what I believe is the subject of this thread, are issues (which may not necessarily be defects) that arise with features that are already in production.  The code for these may have been written years ago.  Count it as "undone" if you like, but it's still potentially unplanned work that the Team needs to cope with in some way.

      Dave Barrett

      This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please delete it and advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

      Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez le supprimer et m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.
    • Gary Brown
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
        Quoting David A Barrett <dave.barrett@...>:

        >> Hello, David!
        >>
        >> If a feature has a defect, it is not done. There are a couple of ways
        >> to handle it, fix it or put it on a list somewhere. My preference is
        >> to fix it, then inspect our engineering practices to identify ways to
        >> improve and adapt so that we don't release defects to our customers.
        >

        > This point always comes up in these discussions. We're not talking about
        > defects that are discovered during the Sprint(s) in which the feature is
        > being developed. Those, obviously, should be covered by the Team's
        > "Definition of Done", and dealing with them should be anticipated as part
        > of the estimate done at the Sprint planning meeting.
        >
        > What I was talking about, and what I believe is the subject of this
        > thread, are issues (which may not necessarily be defects) that arise with
        > features that are already in production. The code for these may have been
        > written years ago. Count it as "undone" if you like, but it's still
        > potentially unplanned work that the Team needs to cope with in some way.

        I meant defects found in production. Yes, it is unplanned work. For
        me personally, I would probably put in some extra time to fix it.

        We are never going to be perfect at planning either. 8^)

        GB.

      • mj4scrum@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
          On Nov 1, 2011, at 3:03 PM, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:

          > I meant defects found in production. Yes, it is unplanned work. For
          > me personally, I would probably put in some extra time to fix it.

          How much extra time before you'd discuss it with the Product Owner? I've seen too many quick fixes turn into all nighters or cause regression failures.

          --mj

          Sent from a phone that often corrects words I tapped to words I may not have meant.
        • Gary Brown
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
            Quoting "mj4scrum@..." <mj4scrum@...>:

            > On Nov 1, 2011, at 3:03 PM, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:
            >

            >> I meant defects found in production. Yes, it is unplanned work. For
            >> me personally, I would probably put in some extra time to fix it.
            >
            > How much extra time before you'd discuss it with the Product Owner?
            > I've seen too many quick fixes turn into all nighters or cause
            > regression failures.

            An amount of time that seemed reasonable to me. I'm not a beginner
            and I think I have a pretty good sense for when I have fallen down the
            rabbit hole. 8^)

            GB.

            > --mj
            >
            > Sent from a phone that often corrects words I tapped to words I may
            > not have meant.

          • Henry Situ
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2011
              Hi Scrum Development Team,
              A Scrum Coach opportunity is available in Garland, Texas.

              This role would run the scrum of scrum meetings to solve problems with
              the team.  There are approximately 9 scrum teams, each with ~10 team
              members.  6 teams are in Garland, TX, and 3 are in Billerica, MA.
              The team is ready for you to start as soon as you are available.
              If you are not near Garland, there's flexibility in travelling to
              Garland each week.

              Would you please send me your resume or the resume of anyone you know
              who is interested to wesid@...?

              Thanks.