Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: When managers estimate on behalf of the team in sprint planning

    Message 1 of 41 , Nov 1, 2011
      Mark, do your managers have a large impact on your future with the company?  Large impact on other Scrum team members' future with the company?

      -------
      Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
      Experienced Scrum Coach

      Message 41 of 41 , Nov 2, 2011
        Well said, David and MJ, couldn't agree more.

        The best situation I've ever seen wrt manager involvement is a manager I coached once.  I'm not bragging -- I've only been able to make this work well with one of a handful of (functional) managers I've consulted for.  Same record with traditional PM's (only one out of a few really "got it").

        He:
        a) Took the time to truly understand and embrace Scrum and truly accept coaching from me, and
        b) Stepped quickly away from the Scrum events(except the Review) once he understood the essence of Scrum (didn't take long), and
        c) Strongly encouraged the team members to be Scrum team players and for them to self organize.  He was extremely flexible with solutions and gave the team a chance to find their own way in terms of self organization.  In short, he made it clear that his view of each team member's performance was how well they performed at being a good "Scrum team player."  I've been reading some of the "Freakanomics" types of books lately -- as they would say -- the incentives need to be aligned.

        I would argue that this person already had very good leadership and delegation(servant leader) skills, as well as a long history in software development, and those traits helped greatly, IMO.  Same goes for the traditional PM that "got it", except she didn't have a long history in software dev.  In a way, the ones that get it are ones that already have good leadership skills.  The rest have to pick those up while implementing Scrum from a guide book, if they want to succeed with Scrum.

        But it only happened once in a handful of times.  I've seen the authority vs. self organization problem reduced, but I've never seen it fully eliminated.  MJ was right, we're probably a decade away, but in the meantime, the key is to minimize the problem as much as possible without alienating one's self as a change agent.  In summary, get that manager out of the Scrum events(except the Review and maybe Release Planning) if there is any feasible way of doing so.

        -------
        Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
        Experienced Scrum Coach