Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum for OS development company

  • Michael Yip
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 5, 2011

      Assuming you are verse with Scrum, experienced in software development and use case approach to develop product/solution, I suggest you have a number of candid conversations with your seniors and ask why won't it work. Keep asking why. I can guarantee all the answers contain "but" and they will come full circle back to poor leadership, culture, people, and organization.... nothing whatsoever to do with Scrum.

      Michael

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 5, 2011

        OS development is hard, and Scrum is not a silver bullet. There are most likely several problems you need to solve, and it is likely that Scrum solves some but not all of them.

        However, it does not follow that Scrum will not work for you. You need to examine what you are doing and find small changes that will improve it, with or without Scrum.

        On Sep 27, 2011 6:14 AM, "Pankaj Gupta" <synopsys_pankaj@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
        >
        > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Pankaj
      • extremeprogrammer
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 5, 2011
          I haven't done OS development. I have done systems programming on a 13 year old system with about 10 million lines of code. I'm not sure if that's similar, but I can't see any reason why Scrum would not work there.

          I'd be interested to know which parts of Scrum are problematic for your seniors, e.g.

          * Inspect / Adapt cycle
          * Timeboxed iterations
          * Small teams
          * etc.

          Regards,

          Lance

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pankaj Gupta <synopsys_pankaj@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
          >
          > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Pankaj

        • jsutherland
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 6, 2011
            A partner of mine was asked to take a look at a 10 million lines of code system that was difficult to maintain. They determined that the functionality was so limited it actually needed only 100,000 lines of code. So they dumped 9,900,000 lines of code that was implemented in India over many years at high cost.

            That's what happens when you look at these things from a Scrum point of view.

            Jeff Sutherland

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "extremeprogrammer" <LanceWalton@...> wrote:

            > I haven't done OS development. I have done systems programming on a 13 year old system with about 10 million lines of code. I'm not sure if that's similar, but I can't see any reason why Scrum would not work there.
            >
            > I'd be interested to know which parts of Scrum are problematic for your seniors, e.g.
            >
            > * Inspect / Adapt cycle
            > * Timeboxed iterations
            > * Small teams
            > * etc.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Lance
            >
            > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pankaj Gupta <synopsys_pankaj@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
            > >
            > > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > > Pankaj

          • Steven
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 12, 2011
              I know there are people developing OS kernel modules with TDD. I don't see why Scrum cannot apply in such case.