agile and incremental architecture

  • Jean Richardson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2011

      This topic seems to be one of the hairiest in Scrum.  I’m sure everyone has a war story.  I have Chris Sterling’s Managing Technical Debt, and I see a couple of other agile architecture specific titles on Amazon.  But I’m wondering what folks are reading and finding really useful.

      --- Jean

      gate.site.jpg

      Jean Richardson

      Azure Gate Consulting

      ~ Repatterning the Human Experience of Work

      AzureGate.net

      (503) 788-8998

      Jean@...

    • Andrew Pham
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2011
        Hello Jean,

        Yes like you, I also like Chris's book and his two chapters, chapters 8 and 9, on architecture. As you were wondering if there is anything other book on architecture, there are also two chapters on architecture in my Scrum in Action book, chapters 6 and 7, the way I had seen it in action on many successful Agile projects. They deal, in a nutshell, respectively with "how to create an architecture vision to guide your Agile project and to help maintain good team velocity" and "how to leverage architectural vision to do a better job at Agile/Scrum release and/or Sprints planning.""

        Since I mainly work with Agile/Scrum and Kanban teams in the trenches, please do not expect anything theoretically elaborate but only actionable information, as implemented on the two Ruby on Rails projects that are in appendix A by the end of the book.

        Now for a quick historical insight, chapter 6 came actually from an article on Agile architecture (vision) I wrote and which I had asked Mike (Cohn) to review for me, something Mike kindly did. And as Mike liked it, he very much suggested to me to send it to the Scrum Alliance for publication, something I first did but which I finally decided against in asking the Scrum Alliance not to publish so that I can incorporate the article with some more development into the book.

        Chapter 7 (on how to leverage architectural vision for release and/or Sprints planning) is essentially an extension of chapter 6 to help Scrum teams avoid having to build - and rebuild - their applications as I had often seen if they code blindly without an architectural vision to guide them (unless what the teams are building is only a small or trivial website or application.)

        All my best,

        Andrew Pham
        Author of
        Scrum in Action (Agile Project Management and Software Development in the Real-World)
        http://www.amazon.com/Scrum-Action-Andrew-Pham/dp/143545913X/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1-1

        and of "Business-Driven IT-Wide Agile (Scrum) and/or Kanban Implementation" (upcoming)