Re: [scrumdevelopment] TDD and BDD – Find the bala nce

  • thierry henrio
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2011
      Hello Carlos

      On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 4:27 PM, carlosscrum <carlosscrum@...> wrote:

      In the past, we wrote lots of unit tests for the code but we did not follow the Red Green Refactor approach. We ended up with hundreds of Unit Tests with lots of mocking in the presenters (we use the MVP model) resulting in a lot of maintenance time.

      Did you really measure this "maintenance time" or is it a feeling ?
      If test maintenance is really high, you'd better cut down your test maintenance cost first before writing more test

      In order to become a good Agile team, we want to implement TDD and BDD properly so I would like to know the necessary steps/journey to get there.

      Your goal is weak : there is no customer (see "MMF" for instance in https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/)

      For me, TDD is as much as design as it is about test

      TDD is about design, test is a side effect
      If TDD does not help you design a component, do not use it
      (I do not use TDD for design of Views)
      Learning TDD : I suggest both
      * allocate time for pair learning
      * extern dojo, then intern