Scrum for OS development company

  • Pankaj Gupta
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 26, 2011
      Hi,

      My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).

      I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.

      Thanks,
      Pankaj
    • Mark Levison

        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 27, 2011
          Try the Symbian OS for Nokia phones - so successful that Nokia HQ encouraged Agile development and R&D for all their divisions.

          As to web-based evelopment and 'small' products - where do your seniors think most of this stuff was devised.

          Try to find out where your seniors get their ideas - baffling!!

          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pankaj Gupta <synopsys_pankaj@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
          >
          > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Pankaj

        • Hariprakash Agrawal
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 28, 2011
            Pankaj,

            Its hard to change perceptions and you may also get OS development company name but than some other reason will come up.

            However you may explain Scrum to them practice by practice. For example, if you see some of the practices like Sprint Planning Meeting (SPM), Daily Standup Meeting (DSM), Product Backlog (PB), Sprint Backlog (SB), Burn Down Chart (BDC), Retrospectives, Demos etc, than you will find that all these practices are so generic that it really does not matter what kind of software / application development is going on.

            Go slow on your journey to agile, or dont use scrum terminology in beginning itself. In the beginning, dont go for 1 week sprint or 2 weeks sprint, go with 4 weeks sprint or call it one month iteration/release. Have a planning session in the beginning (and this is SPM). May be, requirement doc is already established and bringing user story concept will not be accepted but you may insist on detailing of requirements in a single place (your PB is getting ready). Have a high level plan for one month (and this is nothing but SB). Track progress on daily basis but include whole team together and slowly move to DSM format. Do showcase whatever you have done to mgmt or customer at the end of the iteration and demo is taken care. Do discuss lessons learnt (what went right/wrong etc) and this is retrospective.

            Soon, team will start realizing the value and you will have more people to insist on a way to develop software. Keep improving from there on. Get a person (coach) to do brief session with your mgmt on agile philosophy/practices and likelihood is that they will be able to appreciate it more.

            Change takes time and patience/persistence/content is needed to realize the vision.

            Regards,
            Hariprakash Agrawal (Hari),
            Managing Director | Agile Coach |
            http://opcord.com | http://www.linkedin.com/in/hariprakash
            Manual / Automated Testing using Sahi, Selenium, AutoIT, TestMaker, JMeter, QTP, LoadRunner, VB/Java Script || Mobile Apps Development using Android/J2ME || Consulting / Trainings on Agile, CMMi, Six Sigma, Project Management, Software Testing, Android and Embedded Systems

            On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 3:44 AM, Steve <steve@...> wrote:

            Try the Symbian OS for Nokia phones - so successful that Nokia HQ encouraged Agile development and R&D for all their divisions.

            As to web-based evelopment and 'small' products - where do your seniors think most of this stuff was devised.

            Try to find out where your seniors get their ideas - baffling!!

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pankaj Gupta <synopsys_pankaj@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
            >
            > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Pankaj

          • Sean Corfield
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 28, 2011
              On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 8:13 PM, Pankaj Gupta <synopsys_pankaj@...> wrote:
              My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).

              OS = Operating System? Open Source? Off Shore?
              --
              Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
              Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/

              "Perfection is the enemy of the good."
            • Pankaj Gupta
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 29, 2011
                OS = Operating System.

                -Pankaj

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 29, 2011
                  +1 to Mark's comment.

                  People who have made up their minds about, something they don't want to do, are rarely satisfied with any evidence that contradicts their position.  Human beings will go to amazing lengths before admitting they are wrong.

                  If your senior has publicly stated that "Scrum won't work here" then it won't work there (as long as your senior is at that company.)  If you want to use Scrum, you will probably need to get promoted above him, or go work for another company.

                  Good luck.

                  --

                  Malcolm Anderson
                  Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer

                • rroy26@rocketmail.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 29, 2011
                    Hi Pankaj,

                    Why do you want to do Scrum?

                    On Nokia Symbian team using Agile/Scrum, I would be suggest search for RadTac presentation on it on Google and make your own judgement if it looks like Agile or Scrum.

                  • rroy26@rocketmail.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 30, 2011
                      This is a serious problem with Scrum community. They have a hammer (Scrum) and think everything is a nail.

                      May be his seniors are right. How can we be sure without understanding his needs and environment.

                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Anderson <malcolm.b.anderson@...> wrote:

                      > +1 to Mark's comment.
                      >
                      > People who have made up their minds about, something they don't want to do,
                      > are rarely satisfied with any evidence that contradicts their position.
                      > Human beings will go to amazing lengths before admitting they are wrong.
                      >
                      > If your senior has publicly stated that "Scrum won't work here" then it
                      > won't work there (as long as your senior is at that company.) If you want
                      > to use Scrum, you will probably need to get promoted above him, or go work
                      > for another company.
                      >
                      > Good luck.
                      >
                      > --
                      >
                      > Malcolm Anderson
                      > Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer
                      >

                      > On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Mark Levison <mark@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > **
                      > >

                      > > Conversely what makes OS development special? Its still software, it still
                      > > has users, ...
                      > >
                      > > Everyone thinks they're special and Scrum won't work for them. What is the
                      > > person's underlying concern?
                      > >
                      > > Cheers
                      > > Mark
                      > >

                      > > On Monday, September 26, 2011, Pankaj Gupta wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> **
                      > >>

                      > >> Hi,
                      > >>
                      > >> My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies
                      > >> and it does work very well with Web based or for small product
                      > >> development(s).
                      > >>
                      > >> I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who
                      > >> successfully implemented SCRUM.
                      > >>
                      > >> Thanks,
                      > >> Pankaj

                    • RonJeffries
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
                        Hi rroy ...

                        On Sep 30, 2011, at 3:01 PM, rroy26@... wrote:

                        May be his seniors are right. How can we be sure without understanding his needs and environment.

                        I have done work in operating systems, compilers, implementation of relational database systems, automated psychological experiments, real-time human reaction measurement, and a number of financial applications.

                        Scrum would work for those, if people wanted to do it. So I'm pretty sure the domain isn't the issue. The people, on the other hand ... are.

                        Ron Jeffries
                        I'm really pissed off by what people are passing off as "agile" these days.
                        You may have a red car, but that does not make it a Ferrari.
                          -- Steve Hayes

                      • Malcolm Anderson
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 1, 2011
                          Roy

                          I can see why you feel like the Scrum community is trying to treat all situations like a nail that scrum is a hammer for.

                          If Scrum were a tool set, yours would be the perfectly appropriate reaction.

                          However, you will find, that the deeper you look into what Scrum is, the more you will discover that it a heuristic, not a tool set.

                          Scrum starts with the assumption that everyone is doing the best they can and that there are systemic issues that are preventing them from accomplishing more.

                          From there the tools that Scrum does use (burndown charts, backlogs, story points and velocity) are diagnostic tools that allow an organization to decide what they should do next.

                          --

                          Malcolm Anderson
                          Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer

                          On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 12:01 PM, rroy26@... <rroy26@...> wrote:

                          This is a serious problem with Scrum community. They have a hammer (Scrum) and think everything is a nail.

                          May be his seniors are right. How can we be sure without understanding his needs and environment.

                          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Anderson <malcolm.b.anderson@...> wrote:

                          > +1 to Mark's comment.
                          >
                          > People who have made up their minds about, something they don't want to do,
                          > are rarely satisfied with any evidence that contradicts their position.
                          > Human beings will go to amazing lengths before admitting they are wrong.
                          >
                          > If your senior has publicly stated that "Scrum won't work here" then it
                          > won't work there (as long as your senior is at that company.) If you want
                          > to use Scrum, you will probably need to get promoted above him, or go work
                          > for another company.
                          >
                          > Good luck.
                          >
                          > --
                          >
                          > Malcolm Anderson
                          > Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer
                          >

                          > On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Mark Levison <mark@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **

                          > > Conversely what makes OS development special? Its still software, it still
                          > > has users, ...
                          > >
                          > > Everyone thinks they're special and Scrum won't work for them. What is the
                          > > person's underlying concern?
                          > >
                          > > Cheers
                          > > Mark
                          > >

                          > > On Monday, September 26, 2011, Pankaj Gupta wrote:
                          > >
                          > >> **

                          > >> Hi,
                          > >>
                          > >> My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies
                          > >> and it does work very well with Web based or for small product
                          > >> development(s).
                          > >>
                          > >> I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who
                          > >> successfully implemented SCRUM.
                          > >>
                          > >> Thanks,
                          > >> Pankaj

                        • Mark Levison
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
                            Roy (??), - the point came across as as arrogant I'm sorry I was writing from a phone where its hard to be nuanced and subtle.

                            Some thoughts:
                            - Scrum/Agile/Kanban et al will fail in 100% of cases when people decide a priori that it will fail. I find the many people who demand case studies at this stage are really saying I'm special and different so Scrum et al won't work for me.
                            - I've never seen a software development project (even hardware) that didn't benefit from frequent feedback and opportunities to improve.
                            - OS Development is hard but its still software development - which Agile Principle doesn't apply? Which practices don't apply?

                            Cheers
                            Mark Levison

                            MarkMark Levison | Agile Pain Relief Consulting | Certified Scrum Trainer
                            Agile Editor @ InfoQ | Blog | Twitter | Office: (613) 862-2538
                            Recent Entries:
                            Story Slicing How Small is Small Enough, Why use an Agile Coach

                            On Friday, September 30, 2011, rroy26@... wrote:

                            This is a serious problem with Scrum community. They have a hammer (Scrum) and think everything is a nail.

                            May be his seniors are right. How can we be sure without understanding his needs and environment.

                            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Anderson <malcolm.b.anderson@...> wrote:

                            > +1 to Mark's comment.
                            >
                            > People who have made up their minds about, something they don't want to do,
                            > are rarely satisfied with any evidence that contradicts their position.
                            > Human beings will go to amazing lengths before admitting they are wrong.
                            >
                            > If your senior has publicly stated that "Scrum won't work here" then it
                            > won't work there (as long as your senior is at that company.) If you want
                            > to use Scrum, you will probably need to get promoted above him, or go work
                            > for another company.
                            >
                            > Good luck.
                            >
                            > --
                            >
                            > Malcolm Anderson
                            > Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer
                            >

                            > On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 8:20 AM, Mark Levison <mark@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > Conversely what makes OS development special? Its still software, it still
                            > > has users, ...
                            > >
                            > > Everyone thinks they're special and Scrum won't work for them. What is the
                            > > person's underlying concern?
                            > >
                            > > Cheers
                            > > Mark
                            > >

                            > > On Monday, September 26, 2011, Pankaj Gupta wrote:
                            > >
                            > >> **
                            > >>

                            > >> Hi,
                            > >>
                            > >> My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies
                            > >> and it does work very well with Web based or for small product
                            > >> development(s).
                            > >>
                            > >> I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who
                            > >> successfully implemented SCRUM.
                            > >>
                            > >> Thanks,
                            > >> Pankaj

                          • Seyit Caglar Abbasoglu
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
                              From what I've seen, as a project/domain gets harder, that project benefits more from early/frequent feedback and continuous improvement. To setup and persist an environment to maximize those benefits however, always requires patience, determination, courage and trust. IMO that's where most people fail (especially without proper guidance).
                            • JoseS
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 3, 2011
                                Pankaj,

                                In my experience the challenge with Scrum is the user story. Non-application development efforts see them as artificial because of the emphasis on the user ("as a user, I want to ... so that ...") There's no rule that says you MUST do it that way. The functionality can be decomposed and Scrum applied with no issues. The other push back is the short nature of the sprints. Again, decomposing the functionality will allow Scrum to be used.

                                With that said, it is not always a welcomed approach. If you have a product development methodology (Scrum mixes both product and project methodologies) you want to use there's an Agile domain-agnostic approach that has been used in multiple domains (hardware, software when waterfall was required/forced/demanded by management, defense missile engineering, biomedical research and device development, education, education, manufacturing, construction, etc).

                                It originated at Intel for their semiconductor design projects (see Timm Esque's book "No Surprises Project Management" for the story). It is based on commitments made by the team members (no different from Scrum) and regular planning and review cycles. Timm, his business partner, and I have agreed to call it Commitment-Based Project Management or CBPM for its focus on commitments.

                                If interested let me know and I can provide details. You can also go to Timm's website (http://ensemblemc.com/) or my website (http://www.pmlead.com). There's also a LinkedIn group, "Project Acceleration thru Commitment-Based Project Management" where many PMs gather to exchange ideas.

                                All the best,

                                Jose Solera, PMP, CSM, CSPO

                                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pankaj Gupta <synopsys_pankaj@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > My seniors says that SCRUM is not�applicable�for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
                                >
                                > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Pankaj

                              • jsutherland
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 4, 2011
                                  Your seniors don't know what is going on in the industry. Palm, as only one example, used Scrum for new OS development for the past five years.

                                  Jeff Sutherland
                                  Co-Creator of Scrum

                                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pankaj Gupta <synopsys_pankaj@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi,
                                  >
                                  > My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
                                  >
                                  > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Pankaj

                                • Jack Harvey
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 4, 2011
                                    Jeff,

                                    Any good contacts with companies doing software, firmware and hardware using SCRUM?

                                    Cheers,

                                    Jack Harvey

                                    Contact me here:
                                    Email - jack@...
                                    Cell - 865.244.8710

                                    Connect with me here:

                                    Your seniors don't know what is going on in the industry. Palm, as only one example, used Scrum for new OS development for the past five years.

                                    Jeff Sutherland
                                    Co-Creator of Scrum

                                    --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pankaj Gupta <synopsys_pankaj@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi,
                                    >
                                    > My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
                                    >
                                    > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Pankaj

                                  • woynam
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 5, 2011
                                      And look where Palm and PalmOS/WebOS are now! ;-)

                                      Joking aside, I would not use Palm as an example of the "successful" use of Scrum. They basically screwed around for years with numerous Linux-based OS's, and the world passed them by.

                                      Mark

                                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "jsutherland" <jeff.sutherland@...> wrote:

                                      > Your seniors don't know what is going on in the industry. Palm, as only one example, used Scrum for new OS development for the past five years.
                                      >
                                      > Jeff Sutherland
                                      > Co-Creator of Scrum
                                      >
                                      > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pankaj Gupta <synopsys_pankaj@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi,
                                      > >
                                      > > My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
                                      > >
                                      > > Thanks,
                                      > > Pankaj

                                    • Alan Dayley

                                        Your seniors don't know what is going on in the industry. Palm, as only one example, used Scrum for new OS development for the past five years.

                                        Jeff Sutherland
                                        Co-Creator of Scrum

                                        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pankaj Gupta <synopsys_pankaj@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi,
                                        >
                                        > My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
                                        >
                                        > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks,
                                        > Pankaj

                                      • Michael Yip
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 5, 2011

                                          Assuming you are verse with Scrum, experienced in software development and use case approach to develop product/solution, I suggest you have a number of candid conversations with your seniors and ask why won't it work. Keep asking why. I can guarantee all the answers contain "but" and they will come full circle back to poor leadership, culture, people, and organization.... nothing whatsoever to do with Scrum.

                                          Michael

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 5, 2011

                                            OS development is hard, and Scrum is not a silver bullet. There are most likely several problems you need to solve, and it is likely that Scrum solves some but not all of them.

                                            However, it does not follow that Scrum will not work for you. You need to examine what you are doing and find small changes that will improve it, with or without Scrum.

                                            On Sep 27, 2011 6:14 AM, "Pankaj Gupta" <synopsys_pankaj@...> wrote:
                                            > Hi,
                                            >
                                            > My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
                                            >
                                            > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks,
                                            > Pankaj
                                          • extremeprogrammer
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 5, 2011
                                              I haven't done OS development. I have done systems programming on a 13 year old system with about 10 million lines of code. I'm not sure if that's similar, but I can't see any reason why Scrum would not work there.

                                              I'd be interested to know which parts of Scrum are problematic for your seniors, e.g.

                                              * Inspect / Adapt cycle
                                              * Timeboxed iterations
                                              * Small teams
                                              * etc.

                                              Regards,

                                              Lance

                                              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pankaj Gupta <synopsys_pankaj@...> wrote:

                                              > Hi,
                                              >
                                              > My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
                                              >
                                              > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Pankaj

                                            • jsutherland
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 6, 2011
                                                A partner of mine was asked to take a look at a 10 million lines of code system that was difficult to maintain. They determined that the functionality was so limited it actually needed only 100,000 lines of code. So they dumped 9,900,000 lines of code that was implemented in India over many years at high cost.

                                                That's what happens when you look at these things from a Scrum point of view.

                                                Jeff Sutherland

                                                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "extremeprogrammer" <LanceWalton@...> wrote:

                                                > I haven't done OS development. I have done systems programming on a 13 year old system with about 10 million lines of code. I'm not sure if that's similar, but I can't see any reason why Scrum would not work there.
                                                >
                                                > I'd be interested to know which parts of Scrum are problematic for your seniors, e.g.
                                                >
                                                > * Inspect / Adapt cycle
                                                > * Timeboxed iterations
                                                > * Small teams
                                                > * etc.
                                                >
                                                > Regards,
                                                >
                                                > Lance
                                                >
                                                > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Pankaj Gupta <synopsys_pankaj@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > Hi,
                                                > >
                                                > > My seniors says that SCRUM is not applicable for OS development companies and it does work very well with Web based or for small product development(s).
                                                > >
                                                > > I'm interested to know the names of OS development companies who successfully implemented SCRUM.
                                                > >
                                                > > Thanks,
                                                > > Pankaj

                                              • Steven
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 12, 2011
                                                  I know there are people developing OS kernel modules with TDD. I don't see why Scrum cannot apply in such case.