Re: Advance scrum training

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 2, 2011
      I give "intermediate" Scrum courses...

      1. An Intermediate Certified Scrum Prod Owner course + workshop that assumes you already have the CSM.
      2. A Scrum 201 + Workshop that assumes you already have the CSM. More from the SM and whole team.

      BTW, we always review the basics too. (See some comments below.)

      I also want to reiterate some comments, many of them made in other words by others on this thread:

      1. There are many things to add to Scrum. XP practices perhaps the first, if you are doing software. I do a course on "Business Value Engineering"; another example of something to add.

      2. Scrum, like a lot of things in life, is deceptively simple. Any 3 year old can swim. But Micheal Phelps (the world record holder in many swimming events) is still learning how to swim (better).

      3. Silver Bullet thinking: I still find people who want Scrum to provide the silver bullet. And, heck, at least two days a week I want a silver bullet that will solve my problems. But sadly, I have not found one.

      Scrum does require lots of hard work. Scrum won't solve your problems. Scrum just gives you a way to solve problems. As a team.

      4. Unlearning bad habits: When I play tennis and ask my coach how to get better, he says he is still working on trying to remove my bad habits. All the stupid things that I did when I thought I was 'really' playing tennis. One phrase we have for this is "Scrum-But"...except that lots of people think, when they are doing it wrongly, that it is 'correct' Scrum. Learning and then having to unlearn bad habits seems part of human nature.

      5. Wax-on, Wax-off: You may remember the movie Karate Kid. The master told the kid, who wanted to learn: "Here are two cloths; wax-on, wax-off. Wax the car. I'll be back in 3 hours." And the kid got ticked off. Why all this boring exercise and practice before doing the real fancy advanced KARATE stuff.

      I find lots of people don't realize that every muscle movement is extremely complex. Just climbing one stair is complex. But it seems simple. So, we don't build up our muscle memory in doing the basics. We don't appreciate all the million subtle movements in each basic, basic part of Scrum.

      6. "Courage": Often I get the question "Those guys are doing it well and we are trying hard, but getting only modest success. Whaddya they got that we don't got?" And the answer, just as in the Wizard of Oz is often: Courage. Or something like that: guts, 'nads, perseverance, whatever-you-want-to-call-it.

      So, "advanced" courses or workshops are a partial solution to these problems. And so is "practice, practice, practice". So is coaching.

      A lot of what you seek is tacit knowledge, is someone who gives you the feeling 'I want to do it again; I can do it!', someone who also scares you... 'OMG, this is important and I might screw it up!" I think it is these things you should seek more than the explicit knowledge.