Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: What does everyone think of PMI Agile Certification?

  • Deniz İren
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 1, 2011
      I have scheduled PMI-ACP pilot examination. It will be on 15th of September. So I read most of the books referenced by PMI Agile Community of Practice, and took a quick look at some sample 3rd party examinations. Exam questions are all from "details" of those books. I hope this doesn't reflect the real exam because the books have ambiguous and even contradicting knowledge inside of them and many useless details.

      So we need to wait for about 2 weeks to see the actual questions. I'll keep you informed.

      --
      Y. Deniz İREN
      * PMP
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 25, 2011
        I would trust their intentions, but be wary of their ability to do it right... trying to reconcile the Product Development strategies the agile community has introduced with the Project Management practices that are in use by many businesses is a daunting task. I don't think that most agilista methodologists care that much about the differences between Product Development and Project Management, but the PMI cares deeply about it. I'm glad they're doing it, and that's why I helped...

        Dan  ;-)

        Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, PMP, CST

        Author of Exploring Scrum: the Fundamentals,

             http://www.amazon.com/dp/1461160286

        On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 2:12 AM, Peter Stevens <peterstev@...> wrote:

        On 21.09.11 02:40, Joshua Partogi wrote:

        Why would you trust an institution that was not highly-involved in the Agile movement and suddenly jumped in to the bandwagon after 10 years later to certify you?? Doesn't that bring up any question?

        Hi Joshua,

        That's a really good question :-)  -- even though I am not sure that such a dynamic, flexible organization can really be accused of 'jumping on the bandwagon' ;-)

        But seriously, why would you trust the PMI? What is the reputation of the PMI in general? My impression is that the PMP as a certification has a pretty solid reputation (even if we as Agilistas do not really agree with the content). It is not trivial to get. And the concept of PDU's - which is about developing your skills, the community and the body of knowledge -- is a good one and has surely contributed to the growth of the PMI.

        And let's face it, 'Institute' is a great name. It just radiates trustworthiness and believability. And who cares about substance anyway? The important thing is that you have a great label (employers and customers can ask for it by name! - potential employees, consultants and suppliers can easily offer it, by name!).

        Oh my, I am caught between respect and cynicism. What to do?

        I think the success of PMIs program will depend on the people who certify themselves, especially the early adopters. Agile pioneers & bridge builders to the PMI world would be the natural early adopters. They could give the certification quite a good reputation...

        Cheers,

        Peter

        --
        Peter Stevens
        Scrum Trainer & Coach

        Switzerland: direct: +41 44 586 6450     cell: +41 79 422 6722
        USA:         direct: +1 202 657 6450
        World:       skype:  peterstev

        blog:        http://scrum-breakfast.com