Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum Master and the knowledge of the product

  • Gabriel Taz
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      The Scrum Master needs to know about the product or only put focus in the process. I understand that is not necesary that he / she needs knowledge about the product, but I want confirm this. If the answer is "yes", what is the level of the knowledge that he/she needs to have?

      Thanks
    • RonJeffries
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2011
        Hello Gabriel,

        On Aug 30, 2011, at 9:38 PM, Gabriel Taz wrote:

        The Scrum Master needs to know about the product or only put focus in the process. I understand that is not necesary that he / she needs knowledge about the product, but I want confirm this. If the answer is "yes", what is the level of the knowledge that he/she needs to have?

        Seems to me that more knowledge is always better ...

        Yin and Yang I figure.
          -- Tom Jeffries

      • Mark Levison
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2011
          On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 9:10 AM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

          The Scrum Master needs to know about the product or only put focus in the process. I understand that is not necesary that he / she needs knowledge about the product, but I want confirm this. If the answer is "yes", what is the level of the knowledge that he/she needs to have?

          Seems to me that more knowledge is always better ...

          While more knowledge is always better, I've seen some excellent ScrumMasters start off with no knowledge of the product. They just need to be mindful of what they don't know and respectful of the history (i.e. why certain decisions were taken).

          In the end I would I choose a ScrumMaster for the qualities of their personal skills over their product knowledge.

           Cheers

          Mark Levison

          MarkMark Levison | Agile Pain Relief Consulting | Certified Scrum Trainer
          Agile Editor @ InfoQ | Blog | Twitter | Office: (613) 862-2538
          Recent Entries:
          Story Slicing How Small is Small Enough, Why use an Agile Coach

        • gopinath
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2011
            Agree with both Ron and Mark.
            I may add that while a knowledge of the product is not mandatory to begin with it will be in the greater interest of the ScrumMaster and also the Team if the ScrumMaster makes a sincere attempt to increase his level of knowledge as the Sprints go by. They can get themselves familiarized with the concepts of the Product Concepts, the domain it operates, some technical jargons etc.
            Development team will gel with you better if you show interest in the technical work they do.

            Gopinath
            http://in.linkedin.com/in/gopinathr