RE: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 144

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2002
      Yes, the "sprint backlog" is definitely the most important. I try to not even let developers know much about changes to the product backlog during the sprint--there's no point making them think about backlog items that could either go away or get prioritized lower. So, yes, in that sense the only backlog that really matters is the sprint backlog.

      I understood Ron's article to essentially be advocating that everyone stop there--no support backlog or marketing backlog is maintained. On many of the projects I've worked on we have very large product backlogs and small sprint backlogs. For example, one current project I'm on has 30 or so sprint backlog items and about 100 on the product backlog (about 2/3rds we'll do, the rest are dreams). I would really hate to recreate that list each sprint. I found Ron's article interesting to think about in terms of Scrum backlogs but I find that the effort of tracking backlog to be so simple and so useful that I don't plan to stop doing it.

      --Mike
         Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:19:57 -0600
         From: "Mike Cohn" <mike@...>
      Subject: "Dont' keep a backlog at all."---Ron Jeffries

      I saw this interesting article recently on Ron Jeffries on his XPMagazine
      site. In it he suggests "don't keep a backlog at all."

      I'm interested in what others think.

      I think it's a horrible idea.

      The cost of creating the backlog is not something you want to go through
      every sprint/iteration. The cost of wrongly doing an item on the backlog
      that a user would not have "petitioned" for in a later sprint (but that you
      did thinking he would) is likely to be less than the cost of recreating the
      backlog each sprint.

      At a minimum, it's interesting reading and I'd like to hear what other
      Scrummers think.

      Here's the link to the article:
      http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/PetitionTheKing.htm