RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: World's experience in agile developing

  • Jean Richardson
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 16, 2011

      Asad –

      I was looking at this data this morning (http://www.versionone.com/Resources/Whitepapers.asp  See the “State of Agile Development Survey 2010” link on that page.)

      You will see there that Scrum has a strong market penetration but that the mode for the length of use is 2 years.  That’s not a lot of history.

      There is a tremendous amount of information on how this framework developed in the US.  For instance, see Appendix C “Resources” in Agile Project Management  with Scrum.  See also the following list of references:  http://www.controlchaos.com/seminal-articles/   To fully address your questions below, a broader discussion of American cultural patterns would discuss *why* it developed in the US, though Ken has spoken to and written about this broadly.  There’s a video out there called “TheHistoryOfTheAgileMovement.swf” that’s helpful—if you can find it.

      However, as you pose it now, your question is REMARKABLY broad.  What are you trying to get at?  Are you doing a research paper or trying to make a case for retaining Scrum?  Is there any way you can narrow this down a bit?

      American management’s reactions you might go to cio.com and SDTimes.com.  There have been many articles on the topic.  Also, there is a new book out that pays homage to agile methods in software development and tries to adapt agile to broader business management situations:  The Leader's Guide to Radical Management: Reinventing the Workplace for the 21st Century

      If you are looking for specific stories from the companies we on this list work in or with, that’s another kettle of fish.

        --- Jean