Re: [scrumdevelopment] Should a Scrum Master be technical?

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 53 , Aug 10, 2011
      So after a two-day class you are an expert at the Scrum framework?

      On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Bachan Anand <bachans@...> wrote:

      Number 5 in the wiki page , Expert of something , in this context Scrum framework and how it helps in implementing values and foundations of Scrum .

      I agree the term causes confusion , hope when Scrum is implemented in organizations where when there is lack of clarity , there is opportunity for discussion .

      Bachan Anand

      On Aug 10, 2011, at 11:31 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      Which of the definitions (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/master) fit the one you are using for master?

      On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 11:26 PM, srinivas chillara <ceezone@...> wrote:

      It is quite straightforward, "Scrum Master" simply means master of "Scrum" the process, not the people who follow the process. So a well chosen term, especially if you are willing to respect people for their abilities.
      If SM was supposed to be the master for the team (as opposed to the process) the term would have been "Team Master". People need to really understand and realize how much difference a well thought out, simple process with a few simple rules can make.

      In addition the SM is also meant to remove impediments and protect the team.

      cheers
      Srinivas
      PS: Check this to understand  the sort  of things a SM will deal with:

      PPS: All that is said below w.r.t "servant leadership" is very relevant, and indeed worth absorbing

      Message 53 of 53 , Aug 11, 2011
        As I understand it, the questions people tended to miss were removed from the online exam!  I don't think the online exam will ever be that great, so I'll continue to administer a tougher one during my class.  Not everyone passes it the first time, and hardly anyone gets a perfect score (unlike the online exam).  Knowledge and understanding don't prove someone will be any good at doing Scrum; this also requires courage and skill.  But lack of knowledge and understanding are good indicators someone won't be good at doing Scrum yet, and it's pretty easy to test for that during class.

        --mj

        On Aug 11, 2011, at 10:42 PM, srinivas chillara <ceezone@...> wrote:

        Just wondering if the CSM online exam isn't too easy.
        I keep hearing of people scoring 90%+, and many of them are very confident in their opinions, but miss the point of a SM (for example). While exams cannot by themselves ensure quality, hopefully the  filtering can be better.

        cheers
        Srinivas

        From: Michael James <mj4scrum@...>
        Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 13:29:19 -0700

        And more moles are born every day.  Remember that awful 10 minute YouTube video reenforcing most of the popular misconceptions about Scrum?  A bunch of us watched it and concluded, "Wow, this Shojaee guy should probably take a Scrum class, assuming he'd listen."  Bas Vodde actually asked him to take down the video.  I just heard from folks at Agile 2011 that this company is *training* people in Scrum.  So brace yourself for further dilution of Scrum's accepted definitions.

        --mj

        On Aug 11, 2011, at 6:37 AM, Jean Richardson wrote:

        I love that whack-a-mole analogy! -- Jean