Scrum Guide 2011: My Favorites and Least Favorites

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1 11:05 AM
      Here are my favorite and least favorite things about the 2011 Scrum Guide:

      Favorite
      • Language has been added to say that Scrum is an all or nothing proposition -- you either do all of the practices, or you're not doing Scrum.  This is a clarification that has been a long time coming.  Scrum and XP are highly disciplined approaches, and it's important to emphasize this.
      • Backlog grooming is now a required practice of Scrum.  This is huge!
      Least Favorite
      • This sentence was removed(it was in an optional tip):
        • "When rules are not stated, the users of Scrum are expected to figure out what to do."
        • IMO, this was a big mistake.  I know that language is now in the guide that Scrum is a framework and techniques vary, but I think removing this very direct statement just gives more fuel to those who don't know better that "Scrum has big holes".  The holes are intentional, and IMO, they should be stated as such.(They could use different words than the above so long as they conveyed the same straightforward message)
        • My suggestion:
          • After this sentence:
            • "The rules of Scrum are described throughout the body of this document."
          • Put this sentence:
          • "When rules are not stated, the users of Scrum are expected to figure out what to do and then try something.  The users can then utilize the inspect-and-adapt mechanisms of Scrum’s empirical nature to guide them on their use of specific strategies and techniques."
      • No language about PO and SM not being the same person.  OTOH, David from Scrum.org did say on another thread that he would bring that issue up with Ken for the next revision.
        • My suggestion:
          • "It is never an ideal situation to have the the PO role and SM role be fulfilled by the same person.
      • No language about discouraging role sharing.
        • My suggestion:
          • "When Scrum Team members play more than one role in a Scrum Team or organization, there is often an occasion where that person might hinder the Scrum Team's progress, which creates an impediment."
      I'd be very interested in others' favorite and least favorite things about the 2011 Scrum Guide.

      -------
      Charles Bradley, CSM, PSM I
      Experienced Scrum Coach