Re: [scrumdevelopment] The Blizzard of Survey Requests to Scrum Development

  • Malcolm Anderson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2011
      Hi Alan

      It's true, "blizzard" is an exaggeration, I don't think we get more than 3 - 5 requests per month.

      I'd love to be able to help these guys with their research, but the last time I tried, I end up using about 5 hours of my time and came away with the understanding that their professors believed that the waterfall system worked and was trying to figure out how to tweak "agile" to make it more traditional.  I'd have to go back and find out what the actual point of departure was, but that's an additional hour I'm not willing to spend.

      I was really wondering if it was just me feeling like my time was being wasted, or if I had been missing the point and was missing something of great value.

      I can see the value of using the survey requests as a seed for my own article, but I also like the idea of using my delete key with more speed.

      Anyone else?

      Malcolm Anderson
      Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer

      On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Alan Dayley <alandd@...> wrote:

      I wouldn't call the number of such request a blizzard.  Yet.

      I get little value from them except, once in a while a question in them helps me think about things in a new way.  I expect most of the value is to the person getting the degree or whatever.  And I also expect a little value goes into the global Scrum community at a whole, building the knowledge base about Scrum's use.

      But since the values above are minimal to me, I usually exercise the delete function of my email reader.

      On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Malcolm Anderson <malcolm.b.anderson@...> wrote:

      Does anyone on this list get value from the blizzard of survey requests from researchers?

      If you do, could you please explain the value of them?

      Otherwise, is there a way to get them to stop?

      On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Jean Richardson <jean@...> wrote:

      I have been doing research on this topic and came across some very helpful info in the list archives.  However, the most promising thread died without getting to the specifics I was looking for.  Therefore, I’ve set up a 10-question survey to gather that info. One of those questions is  a request for your email address if you would like to receive access to the results.

      Click this link to get to the survey:  http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22CRJ4GG8US/

      I have room for 100 responders so will close the survey at that point or Sunday night after 7p Pacific time.

      I’m considering cross-posting this to the Agile PM list, so if you subscribe there, you may see this survey posted there, as well.

        --- Jean