Re: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM and PMBOK (follow-up)

  • Boris Gloger
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 11, 2004
      Hi Mike,

      I like you iniative but on the other hand I see no use in an addendum
      to the PMI book. For what reason? Scrum or Agile project management is
      NOT a different extension of Project Management, it is not a different
      kind of flavor or a different way of managing people.

      In my speach at the XPdays I will try to explain why they are totally
      different. Here I can only say that both approaches are not
      compatible. Agile development is working in an traditional environment
      because of its adaptivnes, but traditional project management will not
      work in an agile environment.

      So my question is - what is the purpose of having Scrum or XP in an
      PMI book? Sure we would get more awareness but maybe this is not the
      best thing we could do. In life a new fashion is always based on the
      ideas of outsiders. Like the Punks - 20 years ago they started with
      colored hairs, and with a very different way of seeing things. Now it
      is fully ok for a business people like me to wear a haircut like the
      Punks in the '90s. But their ideas had no effects on the society. And
      this will happen if we put the ideas into the PMI. Survive will the
      framework - but Scrum is NOT the framework.

      And I like the idea of collecting success or case studies - but this
      is something the community tries since I read the mails in this group
      about 2 years now. Obviously does notbody like to start writing these
      stories.

      Boris

      On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 20:38:10 -0000, xenomino <xenomino@...> wrote:

      At the conclusion of that discussion, I volunteered to
      > talk to PMI about creating an extension to the PMBOK covering Agile
      > PM. October was the PMI National Congress, and I met with two
      > distinguished members from PMI about this. Both members are
      > currently involved in creating "official" PMI documents (including
      > leading the PMBOK rewrite).

      [...]