Re: [scrumdevelopment] How much?

  • Peter Stevens (cal)
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 11, 2011
      On 08.07.11 21:41, Rafael Nascimento wrote:

      Here in Brasil is common to sacrifice the date instead of the scope. Quality is a second option, but, in agile, it's frozen.
      I think it's a really bad thing to postpone the project (even if you can do it), because we have chances to have an "eternal" project and make the developers unhappy.

      Am I exaggerating? Is it not so bad to sacrifice the date?
      IMO, I'll always negotiate the scope, even if I can negotiate the date or the budget, the scope will be always my first option.

      Hi Rafael,

      To answer the question, you need to understand the cost of delay. You only get value once the software you are building has been released to it user community. Until that point in time, you are investing with no return.

      What is the net impact if you delay your project by, say, 6 months. To understand this, you need to look at not just the direct costs (i.e. the salaries of the developers), but also the impact revenue, market share, costs savings, etc. which will be produced by the project.

      You can create a financial statements for multiple scenarios and see which one you like best. A good product owner will understand this and guide the project to achieve the best ROI possible.

      As a general strategy, I would try to identify the minimum possible feature set which will produce value for the customer or users and focus on those features first. The longer you delay, the more you have to invest. The longer you delay, the greater the risk that a competitor will enter the market and force lower margins, higher marketing costs (even though you have less money to invest), or even take such a strong position that you have no chance. (The details are different but the logic is similar for internal projects).

      Cheers,

      Peter
      .

      --
      Peter Stevens, Partner
      DasScrumTeam AG

      Switzerland: direct: +41 44 586 6450 cell:   +41 79 422 6722
      USA:         direct: +1 202 657 6450
      World:       skype:  peterstev

      blog:   http://scrum-breakfast.com