Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Is Facebook a Scrum Shop?

  • Bachan Anand
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 8 11:08 PM
      Very interested in knowing who those CSTs .

      -Bachan

      Believes that people are essentially good.

      On Jul 8, 2011, at 2:33 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      Hello, Michael. On Friday, July 8, 2011, at 5:21:20 PM, you wrote:

      > Regarding Facebook, I'm pretty sure everyone knows Scrum is only
      > one way to be agile.

      Well, except for many of the CSTs and the people they train ... :)

      But what's worse is that people want to be Agile or do Scrum. Being
      effective would be much better.

      I cannot find my duck.

    • jens.meydam
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 9 2:03 AM
        A bit off-topic, but have a look at those charts by Kent Beck (currently working for Facebook, by the way): Frequent deployment is still far from being mainstream.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIkUWG5ACFY&feature=youtu.be
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 9 4:57 AM
          Hello, Bachan. On Saturday, July 9, 2011, at 2:08:22 AM, you
          wrote:

          > Very interested in knowing who those CSTs .

          Mere sarcasm, Bachan. You may rest easy.

          Hope is not a strategy. -- Michael Henos
        • Michael James
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 11 12:53 AM
            On Jul 9, 2011, at 4:57 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

            > Hello, Bachan. On Saturday, July 9, 2011, at 2:08:22 AM, you
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Very interested in knowing who those CSTs .
            >
            > Mere sarcasm, Bachan. You may rest easy.

            Ron, I still haven't met any CSTs who claim Scrum is the only way to be agile, or that agility is more important than effectiveness. If you haven't either, it would be gracious of you to lay off the unkind words.

            --mj
          • Craig Davidson
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 11 1:42 AM
              Hi Jens,

              Interesting conclusion, do you see many parallels between the NNPDG and K&J Scrum?

              Cheers,

              Craig

              On 8 July 2011 21:37, jens.meydam <jens.meydam@...> wrote:

              A few days ago I gave a presentation on this topic.

              http://www.slideshare.net/jmeydam/facebook-and-scrum

              Preliminary conclusion: The development process at Facebook has striking parallels to Scrum as described by Takeuchi and Nonaka. (Parallels to "prescriptive Scrum": not so much.)

              What are your thoughts on this?

              Cheers,

              Jens

              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 11 3:59 AM
                Hello, Michael. On Monday, July 11, 2011, at 2:53:28 AM, you
                wrote:

                > Ron, I still haven't met any CSTs who claim Scrum is the only way
                > to be agile, or that agility is more important than effectiveness.
                > If you haven't either, it would be gracious of you to lay off the unkind words.

                It would be, yes. Thanks for the observation.

                I do wonder, though, what causes so many people to believe what none
                of us are teaching. I really do wonder.