Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Is Facebook a Scrum Shop?

  • Mark Levison
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 8, 2011
      On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      Hello, Michael. On Friday, July 8, 2011, at 5:21:20 PM, you wrote:

      > Regarding Facebook, I'm pretty sure everyone knows Scrum is only
      > one way to be agile.

      Well, except for many of the CSTs and the people they train ... :)

      But what's worse is that people want to be Agile or do Scrum. Being
      effective would be much better.

      Its funny I opened a CSM training 3 days ago with this sentence: "All that matters is that you deliver value with high quality to customer frequently and seek to improve". I suggested that one sentence (ok a run on sentence) got the core of it across and now they should ready.

      Cheers
      Mark Levison

      MarkMark Levison | Agile Pain Relief Consulting | Certified Scrum Trainer
      Agile Editor @ InfoQ | Blog | Twitter | Office: (613) 862-2538
      Recent Entries:
      Story Slicing How Small is Small Enough, Why use an Agile Coach

      I cannot find my duck.

    • Bachan Anand
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 8, 2011
        Very interested in knowing who those CSTs .

        -Bachan

        Believes that people are essentially good.

        On Jul 8, 2011, at 2:33 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        Hello, Michael. On Friday, July 8, 2011, at 5:21:20 PM, you wrote:

        > Regarding Facebook, I'm pretty sure everyone knows Scrum is only
        > one way to be agile.

        Well, except for many of the CSTs and the people they train ... :)

        But what's worse is that people want to be Agile or do Scrum. Being
        effective would be much better.

        I cannot find my duck.

      • jens.meydam
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 9, 2011
          A bit off-topic, but have a look at those charts by Kent Beck (currently working for Facebook, by the way): Frequent deployment is still far from being mainstream.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIkUWG5ACFY&feature=youtu.be
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 9, 2011
            Hello, Bachan. On Saturday, July 9, 2011, at 2:08:22 AM, you
            wrote:

            > Very interested in knowing who those CSTs .

            Mere sarcasm, Bachan. You may rest easy.

            Hope is not a strategy. -- Michael Henos
          • Michael James
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 11, 2011
              On Jul 9, 2011, at 4:57 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

              > Hello, Bachan. On Saturday, July 9, 2011, at 2:08:22 AM, you
              > wrote:
              >
              > > Very interested in knowing who those CSTs .
              >
              > Mere sarcasm, Bachan. You may rest easy.

              Ron, I still haven't met any CSTs who claim Scrum is the only way to be agile, or that agility is more important than effectiveness. If you haven't either, it would be gracious of you to lay off the unkind words.

              --mj
            • Craig Davidson
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 11, 2011
                Hi Jens,

                Interesting conclusion, do you see many parallels between the NNPDG and K&J Scrum?

                Cheers,

                Craig

                On 8 July 2011 21:37, jens.meydam <jens.meydam@...> wrote:

                A few days ago I gave a presentation on this topic.

                http://www.slideshare.net/jmeydam/facebook-and-scrum

                Preliminary conclusion: The development process at Facebook has striking parallels to Scrum as described by Takeuchi and Nonaka. (Parallels to "prescriptive Scrum": not so much.)

                What are your thoughts on this?

                Cheers,

                Jens

                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 11, 2011
                  Hello, Michael. On Monday, July 11, 2011, at 2:53:28 AM, you
                  wrote:

                  > Ron, I still haven't met any CSTs who claim Scrum is the only way
                  > to be agile, or that agility is more important than effectiveness.
                  > If you haven't either, it would be gracious of you to lay off the unkind words.

                  It would be, yes. Thanks for the observation.

                  I do wonder, though, what causes so many people to believe what none
                  of us are teaching. I really do wonder.