Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Is Facebook a Scrum Shop?

  • Michael James
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 8, 2011
      On Jul 8, 2011, at 1:47 PM, Mark Levison wrote:

      Seriously velocity is only useful as a planning tool, we just 20 minutes in a CSM class discussing all the problems with using it for anything more.

      +1 (a relative unit).  Any time I have participants obsessing over velocity and burndown charts I suspect they are missing the bigger picture.

      Regarding Facebook, I'm pretty sure everyone knows Scrum is only one way to be agile.

      --mj

      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 8, 2011
        Hello, Michael. On Friday, July 8, 2011, at 5:21:20 PM, you wrote:

        > Regarding Facebook, I'm pretty sure everyone knows Scrum is only
        > one way to be agile.

        Well, except for many of the CSTs and the people they train ... :)

        But what's worse is that people want to be Agile or do Scrum. Being
        effective would be much better.

        I cannot find my duck.
      • jens.meydam
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 8, 2011
          > Regarding Facebook, I'm pretty sure everyone knows Scrum is only one way to be agile.

          Still, it is interesting to look for parallels to Scrum.

          Who knows, we might learn something. :-)
        • jens.meydam
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 8, 2011
            Hi Ron,

            > But what's worse is that people want to be Agile or do Scrum. Being
            > effective would be much better.

            Which is why I find it a promising approach to look at really successful shops and to try to understand how they work.

            Cheers,

            Jens
          • Mark Levison
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 8, 2011
              On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

              Hello, Michael. On Friday, July 8, 2011, at 5:21:20 PM, you wrote:

              > Regarding Facebook, I'm pretty sure everyone knows Scrum is only
              > one way to be agile.

              Well, except for many of the CSTs and the people they train ... :)

              But what's worse is that people want to be Agile or do Scrum. Being
              effective would be much better.

              Its funny I opened a CSM training 3 days ago with this sentence: "All that matters is that you deliver value with high quality to customer frequently and seek to improve". I suggested that one sentence (ok a run on sentence) got the core of it across and now they should ready.

              Cheers
              Mark Levison

              MarkMark Levison | Agile Pain Relief Consulting | Certified Scrum Trainer
              Agile Editor @ InfoQ | Blog | Twitter | Office: (613) 862-2538
              Recent Entries:
              Story Slicing How Small is Small Enough, Why use an Agile Coach

              I cannot find my duck.

            • Bachan Anand
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 8, 2011
                Very interested in knowing who those CSTs .

                -Bachan

                Believes that people are essentially good.

                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 9, 2011
                  A bit off-topic, but have a look at those charts by Kent Beck (currently working for Facebook, by the way): Frequent deployment is still far from being mainstream.

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIkUWG5ACFY&feature=youtu.be
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 9, 2011
                    Hello, Bachan. On Saturday, July 9, 2011, at 2:08:22 AM, you
                    wrote:

                    > Very interested in knowing who those CSTs .

                    Mere sarcasm, Bachan. You may rest easy.

                    Hope is not a strategy. -- Michael Henos
                  • Michael James
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 11, 2011
                      On Jul 9, 2011, at 4:57 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

                      > Hello, Bachan. On Saturday, July 9, 2011, at 2:08:22 AM, you
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > Very interested in knowing who those CSTs .
                      >
                      > Mere sarcasm, Bachan. You may rest easy.

                      Ron, I still haven't met any CSTs who claim Scrum is the only way to be agile, or that agility is more important than effectiveness. If you haven't either, it would be gracious of you to lay off the unkind words.

                      --mj
                    • Craig Davidson
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 11, 2011
                        Hi Jens,

                        Interesting conclusion, do you see many parallels between the NNPDG and K&J Scrum?

                        Cheers,

                        Craig

                        On 8 July 2011 21:37, jens.meydam <jens.meydam@...> wrote:

                        A few days ago I gave a presentation on this topic.

                        http://www.slideshare.net/jmeydam/facebook-and-scrum

                        Preliminary conclusion: The development process at Facebook has striking parallels to Scrum as described by Takeuchi and Nonaka. (Parallels to "prescriptive Scrum": not so much.)

                        What are your thoughts on this?

                        Cheers,

                        Jens

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 11, 2011
                          Hello, Michael. On Monday, July 11, 2011, at 2:53:28 AM, you
                          wrote:

                          > Ron, I still haven't met any CSTs who claim Scrum is the only way
                          > to be agile, or that agility is more important than effectiveness.
                          > If you haven't either, it would be gracious of you to lay off the unkind words.

                          It would be, yes. Thanks for the observation.

                          I do wonder, though, what causes so many people to believe what none
                          of us are teaching. I really do wonder.