Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum Project Manager! Yes, Scrum Project Manager!

  • Don Gray
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011
      Malcolm,

      > Certified Scrum Project Manager?
      >
      > Certified by who?

      I'm hearing crickets. You?

      Did I miss something?

      --
      Don Gray (336)414-4645
      http://www.donaldegray.com

      Ability will never catch up with the demand for it.
      Malcolm Forbes

      Increase your demand by attending the AYE Conference
      AYE: Exploring Human Systems in Action http://www.AYEconference.com
      Oct 30 - Nov 3, 2011
    • Malcolm Anderson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011
        Hi Don

        No, you didn't miss anything.

        If I was being cynical I would say:

        It sounds like a brilliant idea to sell training to companies that want to be thought of as agile without doing the work required to actually be agile..

        You form your own certification body and then charge $1000 a seat to bless existing project managers as "Certified Scrum Project Managers."

        Sell the seats at $1000 and focus the training on how a company can use Rally, Project One, or Scrum Works as a management tool and force the team to commit to higher workloads, thus becoming agile.

        But I'm trying to avoid that more cynical part of my thought process.
        Sadly, I'm drawing a blank on any other interpretation than the above cynical one.

        Anyone else have a better more positive spin on this, or is everyone else following the, "if you don't have anything nice to say ... " rule?

        --

        Malcolm Anderson
        Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer

        On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Don Gray <don@...> wrote:
        Malcolm,

        > Certified Scrum Project Manager?
        >
        > Certified by who?

        I'm hearing crickets. You?

        Did I miss something?

        --
        Don Gray (336)414-4645
        http://www.donaldegray.com

        Ability will never catch up with the demand for it.
        Malcolm Forbes

        Increase your demand by attending the AYE Conference
        AYE: Exploring Human Systems in Action http://www.AYEconference.com
        Oct 30 - Nov 3, 2011

        ------------------------------------

      • Don Gray
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011
          Malcolm,

          > No, you didn't miss anything.

          [Squirrel!] and for those who know me, I occasionally miss things.

          > If I was being cynical I would say:

          The prime question to me asks: Certified by Whom?

          Now I'm not a zealot. But if certifying body (company / group of people)
          doesn't include either or Scrum Alliance or Scrum.org, then you're not
          cynical [in my view].

          In my experience, project managers help me get what the teams need [and
          a lot more]. I appreciate working with them. [and what manager doesn't
          want their team to excel?]

          Did Ken/Jeff/Scrum Alliance created another certification? If not, I
          must defer to being cynical.

          --
          Don Gray (336)414-4645
          http://www.donaldegray.com

          Happiness... is not a destination: it is a manner of traveling.
          Happiness is not an end in itself. It is a by-product of working,
          playing, loving and living.
          Haim Ginott

          Come and work, play, love and learn at the AYE Conference
          AYE: Exploring Human Systems in Action http://www.AYEconference.com
          Oct 30 - Nov 3, 2011
        • George Dinwiddie
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011
            On 6/29/11 5:14 PM, Malcolm Anderson wrote:

            > Certified Scrum Project Manager?
            >
            > Certified by who?

            It appears that Cape Project Management, Incorporated is, as owner of
            the trademark, the certifier. It appears that Dan Tousignant is the
            instructor of the course, a management consultant at Cape Project
            Management, Incorporated, and a past employee of Guidance Technology,
            the organization giving the course. Dan is still listed as "Training
            Lead" on http://www.guidance-technology.com/company/management-team/ but
            that is marked as a past position on
            http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=14884438&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=6oGM

            At
            http://corp.sec.state.ma.us/corp/corpsearch/CorpSearchSummary.asp?ReadFromDB=True&UpdateAllowed=&FEIN=273645321
            Dan Tousignant is listed as Registered Agent, President, Treasurer,
            Secretary and Director of Cape Project Management, Incorporated which
            was incorporated last October.

            From http://tess2.uspto.gov/

            Word Mark SCRUM PROJECT MANAGER

            Goods and Services IC B . US B . G & S: Project management services,
            product development services, product development and design
            consultation, Computer programming and computer system analysis, product
            development, product design, product development consultation, product
            manufacturing consultation, computer software development and computer
            software development management; Providing information in the fields of
            computer programming and computer system analysis, product development,
            product design, product development consultation, product manufacturing
            consultation, computer software development and computer software
            development management. FIRST USE: 20110429. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20110429

            Serial Number 85309500
            Filing Date May 2, 2011

            Owner (APPLICANT) Cape Project Management, Incorporated CORPORATION
            MASSACHUSETTS 12 Remington Lane Plymouth MASSACHUSETTS 02360

            Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "SCRUM" APART
            FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
            Type of Mark CERTIFICATION MARK
            Register PRINCIPAL

            Other Data The certification mark, as used by authorized persons,
            certifies The certification mark, as intended to be used by authorized
            persons, is intended to certify that the person displaying the mark has
            demonstrated qualifications in the use and implementation of specified
            product development processes in accordance with standards established
            by the certifier..

            I wish Dan all the best in his management consulting, but I cannot see
            why people would wish to have this certification other than it has the
            word Certified in the name.

            - George

          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011