Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum Project Manager! Yes, Scrum Project Manager!

  • Malcolm Anderson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2011
      Certified Scrum Project Manager?

      Certified by who?

      Just curious.

      --

      Malcolm Anderson
      Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer

      On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Todd <tkamens@...> wrote:

      To the folks in Boston at the end of August:

      Scrum Project Manager™ Certification

      • Are you a project manager interested in being a Scrum Master or Product owner?
      • Are you looking for a way to apply your well-honed PM skills to Scrum?
      • Are you looking to assess if your organization is ready for scrum?

      Come check out our new Course:  http://bit.ly/GTI-ScrumTraining

      Todd Kamens
      Founder and President
      Guidance Technology, Inc.
      www.guidance-technology.com
      tkamens@...

    • Don Gray
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011
        Malcolm,

        > Certified Scrum Project Manager?
        >
        > Certified by who?

        I'm hearing crickets. You?

        Did I miss something?

        --
        Don Gray (336)414-4645
        http://www.donaldegray.com

        Ability will never catch up with the demand for it.
        Malcolm Forbes

        Increase your demand by attending the AYE Conference
        AYE: Exploring Human Systems in Action http://www.AYEconference.com
        Oct 30 - Nov 3, 2011
      • Malcolm Anderson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011
          Hi Don

          No, you didn't miss anything.

          If I was being cynical I would say:

          It sounds like a brilliant idea to sell training to companies that want to be thought of as agile without doing the work required to actually be agile..

          You form your own certification body and then charge $1000 a seat to bless existing project managers as "Certified Scrum Project Managers."

          Sell the seats at $1000 and focus the training on how a company can use Rally, Project One, or Scrum Works as a management tool and force the team to commit to higher workloads, thus becoming agile.

          But I'm trying to avoid that more cynical part of my thought process.
          Sadly, I'm drawing a blank on any other interpretation than the above cynical one.

          Anyone else have a better more positive spin on this, or is everyone else following the, "if you don't have anything nice to say ... " rule?

          --

          Malcolm Anderson
          Scrum Coach & Agile Engineer

          On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Don Gray <don@...> wrote:
          Malcolm,

          > Certified Scrum Project Manager?
          >
          > Certified by who?

          I'm hearing crickets. You?

          Did I miss something?

          --
          Don Gray (336)414-4645
          http://www.donaldegray.com

          Ability will never catch up with the demand for it.
          Malcolm Forbes

          Increase your demand by attending the AYE Conference
          AYE: Exploring Human Systems in Action http://www.AYEconference.com
          Oct 30 - Nov 3, 2011

          ------------------------------------

        • Don Gray
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011
            Malcolm,

            > No, you didn't miss anything.

            [Squirrel!] and for those who know me, I occasionally miss things.

            > If I was being cynical I would say:

            The prime question to me asks: Certified by Whom?

            Now I'm not a zealot. But if certifying body (company / group of people)
            doesn't include either or Scrum Alliance or Scrum.org, then you're not
            cynical [in my view].

            In my experience, project managers help me get what the teams need [and
            a lot more]. I appreciate working with them. [and what manager doesn't
            want their team to excel?]

            Did Ken/Jeff/Scrum Alliance created another certification? If not, I
            must defer to being cynical.

            --
            Don Gray (336)414-4645
            http://www.donaldegray.com

            Happiness... is not a destination: it is a manner of traveling.
            Happiness is not an end in itself. It is a by-product of working,
            playing, loving and living.
            Haim Ginott

            Come and work, play, love and learn at the AYE Conference
            AYE: Exploring Human Systems in Action http://www.AYEconference.com
            Oct 30 - Nov 3, 2011
          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011
              On 6/29/11 5:14 PM, Malcolm Anderson wrote:

              > Certified Scrum Project Manager?
              >
              > Certified by who?

              It appears that Cape Project Management, Incorporated is, as owner of
              the trademark, the certifier. It appears that Dan Tousignant is the
              instructor of the course, a management consultant at Cape Project
              Management, Incorporated, and a past employee of Guidance Technology,
              the organization giving the course. Dan is still listed as "Training
              Lead" on http://www.guidance-technology.com/company/management-team/ but
              that is marked as a past position on
              http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=14884438&authType=NAME_SEARCH&authToken=6oGM

              At
              http://corp.sec.state.ma.us/corp/corpsearch/CorpSearchSummary.asp?ReadFromDB=True&UpdateAllowed=&FEIN=273645321
              Dan Tousignant is listed as Registered Agent, President, Treasurer,
              Secretary and Director of Cape Project Management, Incorporated which
              was incorporated last October.

              From http://tess2.uspto.gov/

              Word Mark SCRUM PROJECT MANAGER

              Goods and Services IC B . US B . G & S: Project management services,
              product development services, product development and design
              consultation, Computer programming and computer system analysis, product
              development, product design, product development consultation, product
              manufacturing consultation, computer software development and computer
              software development management; Providing information in the fields of
              computer programming and computer system analysis, product development,
              product design, product development consultation, product manufacturing
              consultation, computer software development and computer software
              development management. FIRST USE: 20110429. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20110429

              Serial Number 85309500
              Filing Date May 2, 2011

              Owner (APPLICANT) Cape Project Management, Incorporated CORPORATION
              MASSACHUSETTS 12 Remington Lane Plymouth MASSACHUSETTS 02360

              Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "SCRUM" APART
              FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
              Type of Mark CERTIFICATION MARK
              Register PRINCIPAL

              Other Data The certification mark, as used by authorized persons,
              certifies The certification mark, as intended to be used by authorized
              persons, is intended to certify that the person displaying the mark has
              demonstrated qualifications in the use and implementation of specified
              product development processes in accordance with standards established
              by the certifier..

              I wish Dan all the best in his management consulting, but I cannot see
              why people would wish to have this certification other than it has the
              word Certified in the name.

              - George

            • George Dinwiddie
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011