Re: Technical Tasks in the Product Backlog

  • gregc
    Message 1 of 89 , Jun 28 10:03 AM
      A "product development management framework" strikes me as accurate and does not conflict with other meanings I attribute to those words.

      Best,

      -greg

      Message 89 of 89 , Jul 2, 2011
        Hello, Kathleen. On Friday, July 1, 2011, at 9:47:13 AM, you
        wrote:

        > In some posts, there seems to be a focus on doing things 'by the
        > book', rather than exploring the possibilities of other concepts
        > or techniques that might be useful. It implies that the method is
        > the 'one true way' of doing things, and that you don't need to
        > learn anything else to be successful. Unfortunately, reality is
        > way too messy for that to be true.

        > To get really good at something, you need to go beyond mastery of
        > a given method (or words of a specific master). You need to learn
        > the underlying theory and principles (like what was mentioned
        > before), then integrate the ideas and processes in new ways to
        > deal with your current situation.

        Yes, I do agree. And at the same time one does need to start
        /somewhere/, inside the "safe region" for learning before you die.
        Scrum purports to define part of the safe region.

        > Creating new concepts should be encouraged. We should all be
        > challenging the status quo and pushing for better ways to do
        > things. Isn't that how agile got started? Why stop now?

        Agile got started based on the combined experience of a large number
        of people who had observed a large number of teams for a large
        number of years. It is possible that those people knew rather a lot.
        It is also possible that teams starting out to do this stuff are not
        yet qualified to make decisions about what to do and what not to do.

        Show me the features!