Re: "Dont' keep a backlog at all."---Ron Jeffries

  • mpoppendieck
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19 3:34 AM
      --- In scrumdevelopment@y..., "Mike Cohn" <mike@m...> wrote:
      > I saw this interesting article recently on Ron Jeffries on his
      XPMagazine
      > site. In it he suggests "don't keep a backlog at all."
      >
      > I'm interested in what others think.

      Hi Mike,

      I don't think Ron and I have the same vision of a backlog.

      I used to program the control systems for new machines to made tape
      at 3M. Pretty much standard practice was to develop a punch list at
      the end of a major installation. It was basically an agreement that
      once these items were punched off, the job would be done. The punch
      list was prioritized by the customer, and worked on in more less
      priority order by the installation team, until it was done. That is
      how I see a backlog.

      The important thing about a punch list is that the customer is
      comfortable that all of their concerns about the installation will
      eventually get addressed, while the team has a tool to help the
      customer to set priorities and a good way to know when they will
      really be done.

      This is how I view the backlog. Ron's metaphor of a king with a
      bunch of subjects, the king making priority decisions on the
      subject's requests, doesn't reflect (for me) the concept of a
      punch list or the purpose it serves. A punch list is a wonderful
      device, widely used and understood. I'll bet if you ever had a
      house built or remodeled, you tied up the ends of the contract with
      a punch list.

      Mary Poppendieck
      www.poppendieck.com